Universal Audio effects pedals

Like others, without MIDI to let me easily sync LFO’s or delay I cannot see paying that much. I’ll just keep using my Line 6 until I find something I like for the price with MIDI.

3 Likes

can you get the extra lexicon setting without having a UAD soundcard or other stuff?

and are there a lot of ‘hidden’ settings/features like in the meris pedals on the golden reverberator?

Yeah - you don’t need any other UAD stuff to get the extra algo : you just register your pedal & that’s it.

Nope - no hidden settings AFAIK - WYSIWYG - which I kinda like.

1 Like

Unlike loopers delay times are nice ‘imperfect’ imho.

I hate midi :upside_down_face:

Are people still liking the Golden Reverberator?

I have the Dream and Woodrow and love them for guitar. I’ve been using a Flint for many years, since it was first released actually, but being a bit of a reverb junky I’m considering the Golden. It would be mainly for guitar.

One complaint I’ve heard with the Golden is that it always sounds very wet even at low mix settings. I find this to be true of the reverb on the Dream, but it doesn’t have any controls, so I’m wondering if this really is an issue on the Golden. I still like my Flint, so it would be a real luxury purchase.

I had the Golden and sold it. Depends on what you’re looking for. It was a fantastic emulation of classic reverb, but I found it pretty uninspiring. I prefer a little more ambient and up front reverb so I went back to the Mercury 7. For more subtle stuff I’ll just use plug ins while mixing.

I didn’t experience any problems getting it to be more subtle however particularly with the spring. The mix can make the verb as subtle as you like imo.

1 Like

I have not experienced Golden Reverberator being too wet. The mix knob gets plenty subtle for me.

I haven’t used it much lately since getting Dream 65 because the spring in that is good enough. It’s pretty much the same as one of the GR springs but GR sounds better to me since I can make it darker. I have been liking my DM-2W for darker repeats into Dream 65’s bright spring reverb so haven’t missed the darker springs so much. I really like the modulated spring sounds in GR, which makes it stereo.

I love all the non-spring algos too. Easy to dial in a variety of sounds so I’ve never missed lack of presets. I might like it more than my ITB options but for ease of mixing I’ve mostly been using Valhalla stuff instead.

I sold my Boss RV-6 shortly after getting Golden Reverberator but regretted it and bought another. I use the RV-6 much more. Decent enough for subtle sounds but much better for long ambient stuff, especially where I’m often running it pre-dirt these days. GR sounds nicer, overall higher quality (really top notch reverb algos) but RV-6 sounds just right for me.

Despite my not using it much lately I still think it’s one of the best sounding reverb pedals available for guitar (I just tend to prefer trashier sounds). My hybrid setup allows me to use reverb plugins which are on par with GR but if you want a fantastic sounding hardware reverb with classic sounds it’s easily a keeper.

3 Likes

Thanks for this. Considering that I have the Flint it actually makes more sense to put that money toward something else, so I think I’ll just kind of passively keep an eye out for one at a used price.

1 Like

New pedals from UAD. The pre/comp one seems interesting… wonder how Elektron stuff might sound through it!

It sucks that, as usual, all videos so far are with guitar playing… ugh

3 Likes

Wow, so the del-verb is basically the echo station and Golden in one box. However it seems like you can’t control the reverb settings (pre delay, decay, etc) at all. So you would have to rely on the onboard presets I guess.

Re Max pedal - Yeah really curious how it behaves running mixes through it. UA confirmed it’s the same algos/code as the UAD plugins (*with tweaks for the uafx product), so having stereo UAD 1176 and LA-2A in a box is really appealing to me. and you can run two instances one after the other.

I don’t love the user interface on the UAFX pedals, they like to “overload” the knobs so the same knob does different things depending on where the little switches are. And yet in other settings some knobs might do nothing at all. Then you have to remember random things mentioned in the manual like “Set release to 4 to match the original hardware setting when using LA-2A”.

The Golden is IMO still the better deal, for you also have the extra chamber and plate algos, better hands-on control and two reverb settings at the same time (one preset, one live). The increased reliance on the app is worrying and does not bode well for the longevity of these newer pedals. Same is true for any other hardware ecosystems that rely on extra apps or a computer to access essential functions, e.g Eventide H9&co.

Btw there is another UAD reverb pedal in the tube, coming soon probably.

4 Likes

I just watched the Reverb video.

The Space Echo doesn’t really do it for me. I also like the look of the Boss a lot more. I’d like to see a shoot out.

The Delay/Reverb seemed great, but with no controls over the reverb it’s kind of useless for my purposes (the reverb on my UAD Dream feels crippled for the same reason).

The compressor one looks the most interesting to me, but I didn’t hear anything in the video that convinced me it would be worth the price for me. I‘ll definitely watch some other videos to see if I change my mind (I have some UAD compressors with my UAD arrow, so there’s that as well).

I hope that the delay/reverb pedal pushes down the price of the Golden, I‘ve been looking for a used one at a good price.

Edit: The compressor pedal does look nice after watching more videos, particularly running dual compression.

2 Likes

I’m really excited to learn more about Max, stereo 1176 and LA2A in one pedal + preamp sounds very appealing. I wonder how they handle line level signals? Hopefully this is not just for guitars.

2 Likes

All UAFX pedals are designed to take line level as well.

2 Likes

I thought the Del Verb would be useless to me without the fine controls, but man it sounds good on the Take 5.

1 Like

Here’s a demo of the Del-Verb with the MEGAfm and Roland SH-01a. Maybe you find it useful

3 Likes

Beyond registering for an extra small model to choose from, is UAD actually offering purchasable expansions? I figure unless there’s a huge bug there won’t be much in the way of updates for these.

Granted i’m just setting expectations, they’re simple and there’s no need to update anything necessarily. I just couldn’t guess from the marketing if they had planned for more potential with each pedal :slight_smile:

I saw in an Anderton’s video and read a post from UAD on Gear Space that said they are working on an update to the compressor to have it be able to do dual inputs, so you can run two mono sources in at once (as I understand it). To me that implies that there is hope for updates.

1 Like