Unity gain settings on the inputs for all Elektron gear

Hi all,

I’d like to know if there is a reference out there with all the different settings for each box.

So far, I only found out that the Digitone has a lot of gain and unity is supposed to be around 24.

I have the Syntakt and A4 MK2 as well and would like to know their respective values for proper gain staging.

Thanks for helping me out :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, I found this post by @kwamensah, who measured the noise floor, which can be an indicator as well, I guess (measured with a Behringer X32 Producer): Digitone input noise floor - #15 by kwamensah

Digitone

-98 dbfs @ 0
-95 dbfs @ 50
-90 dbfs @ 70
-84 dbfs @ 100
-79 dbfs @ 127

Analog Four MKII

-98 dbfs @ 0
-98 dbfs @ 50
-98 dbfs @ 70
-97 dbfs @ 100
-97 dbfs @ 127

And @Chiron says here: Digitone input noise floor - #16 by Chiron

With unbalanced in, to get a 1 to 1 level from input to output through the Digitone, you have to set the input level to 28.30.

I will continue my search and update this thread…

6 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong but I guess you are talking about the input of your Digitone right? Before testing I would have said 100. and unity gain as in input = output?
So I just tested this with my ST.
I connected the inputs and outputs of my ST with balanced cables. Using Overbridge, I set the input & output device of my DAW to be the ST. I let a loop (or any audio material for that matter) play. I inserted a vu meter, then external device (input 1&2 & output 1&2), then again a vu meter on to that channel. The vu meters matches at 103 (the value of my input on the ST).
Why not exactly 100 could have sth to do with the filter of the AD DA converters, the cables, overbridge or some setting I missed on the ST.

Test it yourself but I would say somewhere around a 100 should do the trick.

I’ve wondered this myself and then when I didn’t find the answer I decided I didn’t need to know where unity is to get good sound. I’m still interested in knowing though.

Are suggesting the setting of around 100 on the input (mixer page) would be unity? Just making sure I’m following. It seems like 100 would be a lot higher, but I haven’t measured myself

I can only speak about the Syntakt. I don’t have the Digitone but I’m guessing it should be the same. I have set my input on the Syntakt to be stereo and on the mixer page the input to 100.

1 Like

Yeah, my guess is the Syntakt would be the same as the Digitone/Digitakt in this regard.

I end up just doing the gain staging by ear, but it would be cool if Elektron told us where unity is :slight_smile:

TBH I dunno! :slight_smile:
Yes, it can come handy to know but at the same time the creativity juices flow better when doing with out thinking.
I spend all day today measuring the OT & ST filters, cuz I wanted to know exactly which value corresponds to which freq. Test after test, numbers after number I realised I’m better off without knowing. I bet the cheat sheet will be forgotten and will never be used.

No, Digitone (and Digitakt, I think) have way more gain! You can plug a passive guitar or bass into them and get usable results. The Syntakt not so much.

1 Like

Yes, this is what I’m talking about. But I don’t want to do measurements myself :smiley:

Regarding the filters, Dave Mech did measure them for Digitakt and Digitone: The Digitakt Cheat Sheet — Dave Mech

1 Like

Sounds like it. I’ll be getting the DT soon and I’ll know for sure. What’s safe to say is OT has total different unity gain values.