Uninspired by the Octatrack MkII

If it had a bunch more inputs and ways to access them it would be an amazing mixer. This would be a kickass direction for Elektron to go.

1 Like

Not knob per function though. More menu diving than a standard Mixer.

I’ve had mine a few weeks now. My main setup is AR+A4+AH. I haven’t set up the OT with that kit. I haven’t really got into it yet. But I’m amazed by what it can do so far. It does so much though, that since I don’t have a specific task in mind, I’m left faffing with it.

I’ve done some loop recording, some drone making (amazing drone machine!) and finally yesterday I used it to sequence my virus snow. It excels at this. I can record midi from my LPPmk3 into the OT, and then it can sequence the virus on one channel, then I record midi into another OT track, and sequence another virus part. If 4 parts isn’t enough, I can cpature audio from any of the parts, and start over. I guess this is the old “DAW in a Box” usage of OT. It almost turns any multi-timbral synth into a P-Lockable elektron sequenceable box.

Anyway, yeah, I haven’t even used it as a drum machine yet :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve never been into sampling stuffs so was not really sure the OT would be useful for me but I thought why not give it a try, it can work as a mixer too.
Many times, I wanted (still want) to throw the damn thing out of the window because it can get very frustrating at times but manipulating samples with FX, LFOs and the sequencer can be fun. live sampling too is great. I’m certainly using like 10% of what it can really do.
I don’t use it that much so I keep forgetting how to use it (I’m old…).
For now, I guess my analog gear will be the prime candidate for sampling but I do wish they will create a DT on steroid (with OB) to replace the OT.

2 Likes

Kind of, just needs more inputs and outputs and better FX.

But yeah, I would LOVE Elektron to release an Octatrack without sampling, or maybe rudimentary loopers and static machine without any on the intricate sample mangling capabilities. Honestly no sampling would be ok, just a 8 tracks with dedicated inputs and outputs, lots of high q. FX, the Elektron sequencer and same midi capabilities as the OT.

1 Like

Basically, that’s a workstation you specify here.

1 Like

What do you mean? I’m not familiar with that term in this context.

Well, that’s a mixer with multiple fx, ability to playback audio tracks, with a onboard midi sequencer.

That’s not a Performance Sampler :wink: Easily doable with a laptop, and a decent 8x8 audio interface. But I guess it’s a “no-daw” request, so I’d recommend looking into the digital mixer category. For instance, take a 1010 Bluebox, add a Toraiz Squid or a Pyramid and a couple of FX pedals and you have quite a decent mixing/processing/sequencing package, relatiovely compact, for about the price of a high-end Elektron. But there are many other solutions.

I have the gear available to build something similar, but it’s really not the same as having a dedicated device made with the precision and quality Elektron are known for.

I know it’s not a performance sampler, the OT is a performance sampler and I’m quite happy with mine. I wouldn’t sell it were Elektron to make a performance mixer, they would work well together I think. I don’t think there’s any digital mixers that have a sequencer with plocks that you can use for Midi out, 2 FX slots for each channel, a crossfader and scenes or the midi capabilities the OT has. And I want less gear, not more gear to do the same that the OT can do.

Yes I understand. I observe trends here: in my 4 decade-spanning career we had all outboard gear, then we went all-in-one selfcontained, (for the ease of use when touring without a crew), then we went back to all external rack mount again (for the flexibilty and ability to mix brands) and then we went back to all-integrated once more (for ease of use and small footprint). Personally, I think I benefit from some sort of modularity and today’s products all pack impressive processing power in small and lightweight boxes, so basically it’s the best of both worlds. But YMMV…

1 Like

sounds great but I would add the sampling