UDO Super 6 Desktop vs Keyboard

Ok so I’m biting the bullet next week and purchasing a Super 6. For the life of me I can’t work out if I should get the desktop or keyboard version.

I recently got an ob-6 desktop and I’ve found I’m not noodling on it as much as I’d like but that may be due to always rearranging my space and with a stable midi controller my studio may become more static.
I am completely in love with the layout and design of the desktop but I’ve also heard it referred to as a “players synth” and in that people seem to really like having the keyboard attached.

If I got the desktop I would mount it on a Vesa arm so I can float around the room with it but I’m also not opposed to having the keyboard version take up centre space…

Regardless I’m excited and with a h90 on the way I thing I’m in for a fun holiday period.

3 Likes

I went with the keyboard in the end as I found one at a great price interstate. I think I’ll learn to use it for a time and enjoy taking it room to room with the keys and then trade it for a desktop once I’m ready to settle.

1 Like

I’ve sold my keyboard and have a desktop coming today. The keyboard was lovely but it takes up a lot of space and I now have a linnstrument and digitone keys I can use to play the desktop.

Going to mount it on a vesa arm with my m for easy access.

7 Likes

So where there was formerly one piece of equipment, there are now 4? :grin:

1 Like

To be fair I already had the M and digitone keys haha.
But also “hi my name is Osaka and I am addicted to music gear.”

4 Likes

Probably not: Super 6 mk2 with poly aftertouch? - #2 by dcjams - Super 6 - UDO Audio Forum

And why not “Super 6 Desktop plus a Poly AT keyboard” - the Desktop doesn’t have the nice performance section on the left…

Is there any way on the Desktop to just trigger a note?

1 Like

The designation “desktop” is a bit of a stretch when it comes to the Super 6 “desktop” or to other supposed “desktop” synths such as the Waldorf Iridium or M.

In comparative terms: the Super 6 desktop is bigger in size than both a Prophet 10 desktop and a OB-X8 desktop taken together (!!). In terms of weight, the Super 6 desktop underperforms this expensive duo by only a bit more than 1 kg and is almost the same weight as an Osmose. It doesn’t just sit on the desk, it literally becomes the desk.

Compared to the Super 6 desktop, the Super 6 keyboard is practically as portable, at only 2 kg more weight, half the height (!) and only 1.5 times the length.

It’s the depth, weight and build that makes it feel a more substantial unit… it’s not as long as the Rev 2 (or doesn’t feel it anyway). I certainly won’t be taking it anywhere, and agree it’s makes the Nord Lead Rack look like a Fisher Price toy. Still enough room for a few bits and a glass of wine. :grinning:

4 Likes

Believe it or not, it is bigger in every dimension than a Rev 2 module :cool: It is even 1 cm longer than an OB-X8 module, which is probably the longest module by Sequential/Oberheim.

1 Like

Hah that’s funny, as I sold a Rev 2 module to get this. It is a proper tank :grinning:

It is still smaller (somewhat) then the Iridium desktop.

1 Like

I have been wondering about these custom sliders on the Gemini too — longevity and ease of dialing in a value. I keep waffling between the Gemini and the 6… the 6 seems like such a great contained instrument, but the Gemini undoubtedly offers more options for exploration and jamming. Trying to consider more details like the slider sizes etc to help me decide.

So if anyone here has used both the desktop and the keyboard — how do you feel about the smaller faders of the desktop?

Yeah it’s a shame they couldn’t just cut the sequencer from the desktop to make it smaller. But luckily, that huge footprint will keep me from GASing for the Super 6 desktop.

2 Likes

When the GAS gets strong enough you just end up with one of these for more desktop units:

2 Likes

not exactly wife compliant though :cool: