UAD Apollo gear use [spinoff topic]

+1 for VOG and EMT. Just wished you could shorten the decay on the EMT a bit more.
I recently got the AKG spring reverb for its much darker tone … and because I like Portished :slight_smile:

Just demoed the new Capitol Chambers UAD plugin yesterday… don’t demo it! You might find the urge to buy the plug too strong to resist :loopy:

My new fave reverb hands down :+1:

3 Likes

That’s how they get you!
First hit is free, but then you gotta pay!

2 Likes

Universal Audio stuff doesn’t use USB-C, it uses Thunderbolt 3 which happens to use the same connector as USB-C. Yes, there is a difference; be sure to get the correct cables.

I am using an Arrow with a 2018 MacBook Pro (Thunderbolt 3) and an Apollo 8 with an 2015 iMac (Thunderbolt 2) and everything has just worked for me so far.

I’ve never used MOTU interfaces, so can’t compare.

2 Likes

IME the UAD Apollos are pretty solid. I’ve had two of them now, mk I and now mk II, always connected via thunderbolt. Very troublefree usage in general, stuff “just works”. Now having said that, I usually use quite large buffer sizes (128 - 512) , I’d wager the Apollos cannot touch the superlow latency performance of, say, RME…

I run my Apollo 8 (blackface) with my 2012 Macbook and I use buffer settings of 64 samples to 128 samples, which gives me round trip latency low enough to track with native plugins in Studio One without any perceivable latency.

I agree that RME will probably be even more efficient, but the UAD Apollo is plenty efficient already (in my case). :slight_smile:

Re: does it just work @plusn:
The Apollos don’t deal well with Sleep mode on the macbook, ie if I just close the lid of my laptop while the Apollo is still on, it might happen that I have to physically disconnect the device and reconnect it for it to work flawlessly again. That’s about the ONLY stability issue I’ve had with the Apollo in years, and this one is actually mentioned in the manual, so you could chalk it up as “user error”.

2 Likes

If you dont plan on utilizing UAD DSP, I cannot really recommend the Apollos. Better interfaces available with better features in that case. The new focusrites seem to have a good bang for the buck, antelope seems well liked, and also the Audient boxes are superb. All of these offer as much I/O as the Apollos.

I know tastes in plugins vary between individuals. But for myself, I can’t cope living without UAD plugins anymore… they are my staple go-to tools in the studio. Especially the reverbs and delays. Ever since I had a barebone collection of UAD plugins (eqs, comps, verbs, delays), I’ve stopped looking for new shinies in plugin land and just use the UAD, which are modeled after trusted studio workhorse staples. They aren’t feature-packed with the latest high-tech (fullscreen analyzers, multiband M/S everything, linear phase thisnthat), but they get stuff done.

Then again, even the stock plugs in a DAW can serve one well when used responsibly. We are all spoilt for choice :diddly:

1 Like

I’m kinda salivating over the Distressor plug. Anyone tried it? Close enough?

What do you consider to be the essential UAD plugins? Are they really leagues ahead of native stuff?

Yes. Yes. You can try the plugins before you buy.

1 Like

No. There’s plenty of native stuff that’s just as good. Most of the UAD plugins are excellent though.

For solid-as-hell, stable and vanilla I/O, RME is hard to beat at their price points.

3 Likes

I use pretty much all my verbs and delays all the time (EP34, Galaxy tape, AKG BX20, EMT 140 plate, EMT 250, Ocean Way, precision delay mod), and most tracks that are not line level (mics, DIs) I use some 1176/LA2A/LA3. Bread and butter EQs are Harrison 32C and the pultec collection for broad stroke sculpting.

Masterbus gets ATR-102 and oxford limiter. Drums sometimes love the FATSO Sr. VOG is used for whenever sub control might be beneficial.

And most channels have a tonelux tilt in the first insert for bandlimiting duties.

But as I said, I use these out of familiarity above all. Alternatives exist. I feel like I can move fast with them, which helps to keep the pace of a session flowing.

1 Like

I just heard a shootout between the hardware Distressor and plugin and couldn’t tell the difference. I think thats the closest example I’ve come across. I’m curious about The ATR 102, I guess if you’re having it strapped across your mixbus you must be pretty happy with it!

I digitize analog 1/4" and 2" tapes at work all the time. The ATR is a poor man’s substitute for that silky sound of analog tape (which the plugin doesnt completely nail btw). But yeh I like it, adds some roundness.

WRT the Distressor, Dave Derr himself endorses the UAD version. But native alternatives also exist and have also been much praised for accuracy.

I dont have the distressor yet, havent actually even demoed it yet tbh. I’m sure I will buy it once a suitable sale comes my way (but right now, Capitol Chambers comes first LOL)

I´m working with the RME Fireface802 and have connected a Ferrorfish Pulse 16 AD/DA converter - which sounds high class to my ears … gives me 28 ins + 28 Outs and I have 2 UAD Satelites Firewires. Everynthing is super stable and works like charme!

My UAD Faves:

API2500
SSL Bus compressor
LA2A
Manley Massive Passive
Studer A800
Roland Dimension D
Pultec EQ Colletion

my tip for the ultimate shaker:
build you own Shaker from noise with A4 / AR or use a sample and just insert the Roland Dimension D Chorus on the Shaker

if you wanna save DSP power and count and you do have a newer Computer with more power … check out Plugin alliance. They have bx digital EQ, Maag EQ, Elysia compressors etc. at a little smaller price tag if you got a voucher AND they will don´t hit your UAD dsp power.

1 Like

The Distressor is the first time I’ve heard a plug sound indistinguishable from the hardware. I really feel a paradigm shift has happened with plugins, they’re certainly getting closer as each year passes. I’ve spent many years working with tape as well, and am doubtful any of these plugin emulations currently achieve the same thing, but I forsee a future where this technology will eventually catch up.

2 Likes

Anyone tried the curve bender plug?

Just bought a Apollo Solo for the home use.

I want to report some tests and experiences I did in my studio.

Apollo Solo don´t like all of the 4 usb-c / thunderbold ports. I have to plug it in on the top port. And it just says “don´t enough power for thunderbold. try to unplug other devices” when I connect my UAD Satelites Firewire to the same side bottom port. Using the bottom port for the Solo didn´t work either. Well done UAD. I don´t get this message when pluging in the Satelites on the other side. Now have to figure out how to get the Satelites back to work while using the Apollo solo.

however my experience with the sound so far, going straight from the outputs to Adam 7x + Adam Sub 10 MK2. Audio in 96khz.

UAD Solo

• more difference between mid and sides. So mono signal is mono, really in the middle between the speakers
  • so it sounds wider - you hear more of the reverbs for example
  • less high shizzle sparkle in the top end
  • proannounced lower midrange

Ferrofish Pulse 16 feeded from the RME Fireface

• sparkling top end, cristal clear
  • good stereo field, but not so much a difference between mono and side signals
  • punchier bass
  • not that low midrange bump

RME Fireface 802

• well a little bit of both I think
  • more clearer top like the ferrofish, but not so much
  • less wider sound

Headphone outs with Beyerdynamic 880 Pro

• the RME Fireface 802 headphone out has more beef (gets louder) and is clearer in the top end than on the Solo

Conclussion?
For working on the couch, sure the Apollo Solo is the clear winner. But for sound specs? I´m not so sure. Maybe just give it back and getting the new Babyface Pro FS?

But then … The clear sound of the Ferrofish in combination with the A7x known for its top end gives me often hazzle when mixing, especially during long mixing sessions. I often work with lowpass filters on hihats etc because often I hear to much shizzle going on in the top end. But when I compare mixdowns with other people’s work, I feel lacking then on that top end. As the Apollo Solo sounds a bit dull (which also some people report on gearslutz about the Apollo interfaces), it will maybe lead me to better mixing? Tests will tell :smiley:

So anyone else has some experiences with Apollo interfaces vs other interfaces??

2 Likes

So I think the Apollo Solo doesn´t make so much sence other for just small home studio or for beeing on the road. Simply because it´s not expandable. It doesn´t have adat.

So I think I will send it back and go with the Apollo X2 or x4. But I see that are only the “new heritage editions” are available. But as I allready have those “heritage plugins”, I would just need the interface and not this even more expensive plugin collection. Looks like only the “Heritage Editions” are available at the moment. I don´t get that. To me it looks like money making with new and old UAD users.

So maybe going with the RME Babyface Pro FS instead ? So I could integrate it in my current studio setup and use it for home work as well.