Typical PsyTrance bass on the digitone?

Hello there! Im pretty new to digitone and FM synthesis in general and i am struggeling trying to make the typical bass line of the psytrance. How do you recomend me to achieve it?
Something like:

starting at 00:27

I guess that should be a saw wave but how can i achieve a similar sound on the DT?

1 Like

Load up the sawtooth preset, set filter mode to low pass 4, fast attack on filter, open decay just enough for the attack you want. Similar affair on the amp envelope

Very important to assign velocity to filter cutoff to add tone to accent notes, vary note length as well to add ghost note effects for extra funk. Add a little distortion to taste. It’s a very easy sound to make but will only ever sound correct in combination with the right kick as that essentially creates a bass note of its on on every beat so it has to blend well. I highlt recommend shaping bass around the kick first.

That’s the classic 2004 to present day mainstream style anyways. Personally I try to do it all with FM to come up with something a bit weirder, but I’m off the school of thought that thinks psychedelic trance should actually sound psychedelic… call me old fashioned.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, very apreciated.

“That’s the classic 2004 to present day mainstream style anyways. Personally I try to do it all with FM to come up with something a bit weirder, but I’m off the school of thought that thinks psychedelic trance should actually sound psychedelic… call me old fashioned.”

You are totally right but im pretty new to this style and i was wondering how were the “basics” made.

Yeah, that works :slight_smile:

4 Likes