Two octatracks

Of course :grin::+1:

1 Like

Very much how I use my OTs. It’s a 16-track sample mangling recorder being fed from mix buses from my Midas Venice 320 :+1:.

Very easy to sync and I fully rely on this setup - just multitrack out to DAW in the end for mixing.

1 Like

Yes indeedy though I only have one at the moment. I like setting them to sync but one at 60bpm, one at 90 type thing. One was sequencing DR2, the other Pulsar. Yes I will have another OT someday, the 16 tracks is great.

2 Likes

I use two since about 6 weeks now and it is great. No problems at all, even when i record and none of them ist the midi master. But i have to say my sounds are noisy and distorted stuff anyway. I don’t hear the problems some people are complaining about when recording as slave. It’s good to have the same button layout on the drum machine and the “synth”. And you can program and record a really cool liveset with your synths at home and just have to take the two octas with you. You will loose one track for a through machine so you have 15 or 14 with a master.

1 Like

Cool - so you are feeding one set of Main outputs from Octatrack A into Octatrack B as a thru machine? I guess this would mean Octatrack A does not have a Master - only Octatrack B

Using the CUE outputs at all?

I don’t use the cue. There is a sidechain ducking simulation trick somewhere in the forums that i use and that’s working great. Thru machine is more or less the master for the drums. I used a master on the first machine too sometimes while working everything out, because then you can use master effects on two faders for two machines. So I am not really sure about that yet but tend to go without because you can route all the individual track filters to the fader too.

One needs to be sent out for repairs, but I generally use them two ways in a live set:

1. the small setup: Octa A acts as the “music” and Octa B acts as the fx processor / looper / mixer. Generally 6-7 tracks will be the current “song”” and 1-2 tracks will anticipate the upcoming track. I usually structure individual “songs” with scenes. In studio mode so both main outs and cue outs go into Octa B. Generally I’ll sample a loop from Octa A with Octa B and transition to the next “song” on Octa A.

2. the larger setup: Octa A and B are treated like separate decks and are mixed with a two channel Allen & Heath 2 channel DJ mixer. In this setup, each octatrack will have a unique synth or two and fx loop setup and I mix between the two like a DJ set of my own material

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I’m really feeling this is my path. As I have gotten older and have so little time, I value creating in the moment and moving on. The Octatrack is my favorite device and I have tried a lot. Two feels a bit indulgent, but seems to provide just what I think I want.

In the end, I will still be making my mediocre tunes, but I’m only in it for my personal enjoyment of the moments I get.

2 Likes

Go for it. I was thinking the same way. After work i just don’t have enough time to create synth patches and make a track and use all the gear that i own. So i often just picked a few samples in the octatrack and jammed with it. But 8 tracks just weren’t enough. I have some sample packs, but also make my own if i have the time to do so.

I had a ar but the time needed just to create good drum sounds that are more or less the same as you can have with samples and the different button layout made things just way more time consuming.

1 Like