Two analogue synths for minimal dawless setup with Digitakt?

First post from @LyingDalai.

3 Likes

I use a MicroMonsta 1 & 2 with my Digitakt. Very powerful to sequence 2 poly synths with the Digitakt. Pretty small footprint of a setup also. Unfortunately the MicroMonsta synths arenā€™t readily available new but I purchased mine used for under the price of what new ones go for.

I pair Digitakt with an A4. Most of my current projects start out with just those two. If I was feeling particularly groovy Iā€™d be more likely to add Digitone than a second analogue (esp given the A4 can already run as 4 mono-synths).

Have often wondered whether a Peak might be a good mix for DT+A4 tooā€¦

Itā€™s very good indeed!
The footprint is rather large for a monotimbral synth, IMO, but itā€™s of course an awesome 8-voice poly. The variety of sounds you can get is impressive, and I believe itā€™s MPE-ready (havenā€™t tried yet).

But Iā€™m personally more attracted by the A4: for me,
sequencer & p-locks & sound-locks + 2 analog filters + polytimbral > 3 osc + pads

3 Likes

Digitone and Syntakt.

Its look like they were made to be together with DTā€¦

3 Likes

If you need more FX than just sending to DTā€™s internal delay and reverb: Virus C, A4 and Typhon each bring their own internal effects (and a greater variety, too).

I find the performance macros on the A4 are a huge plus for a minimal setup, and I found that the one-knob approach for setting up two oscillators on the Typhon donā€™t work for me at all, because it imposes some strange and IMHO unnecessary limitations on sound design (also the rest of the UI design didnā€™t click with me, but I could have lived with that).

1 Like

Once you try the minitaur, nothing else will satisfy your low end needs. It cuts through mixes and can bring down walls on club-systems.

Add a nice digital poly and you are set.

I have DT+DN+Minitaur as my main setup and I absolutely love it.

Since you mentioned semi-modular and the korg ms, have a look at the Behringer K2. Fantastic MS alternative/Clone for the price.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t like the build quality of Typhoon and the very small screen to adjust settings. Sound was nice though especially for bass

2 Likes

Have you considered their other monoā€™s. The Neutron is very good as is the Cat. Thatā€™s not to say they others arenā€™t. If youā€™re not bothered about CV control the Wasp is a very solid synth too

2 Likes

I damaged the data encoder on mine but they were good enough to send me a replacement free of charge

1 Like

I have the Erica synths db-01 and mother 32 being sequenced via torso t1 slaved to Digitakt and can also process midi from Digitakt with torso t1 fx tracks; Iā€™m definitely more into gear without presets lately and feel like it gets me going much quicker; with the typhon + Digitakt I had to create a typhon preset, call that preset as a program change from Digitakt and then name the preset on the typhon to align with the naming on the Digitakt so I knew later in that I was not crazy with whether that typhon preset was actually for the Digitakt pattern. I may just be compulsive though with all those steps :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Honorable mention for either cre8audio x pittsburg East Beast or West Pest, semi modular, great sounds, midi to cv converter, both around 250 eur.
The design thoughā€¦ an acquired taste

2 Likes

Could you ellaborate on this? Thanks

1 Like

You have one control that controls 6 parameters:

1. oscillator 1 pulse level
  2. oscillator 1 saw level
  3. oscillator 2 triangle level
  4. oscillator 2 saw level
  5. oscillator FM
  6. pulsewidth for oscillator one

They did a pretty good job making this as useful as possible, but cramming in so much in one knob limits your options, e.g. as you change the pulsewidth of osc1, at the same osc2 fades out then fades in again, which gives you a range where the volume drops. You also have a very small range for dialling in a specific sound, thatā€™s why the knob is larger than the others, so that you get a bit more precision.

This is also the only parameter for both oscillators you can modulate, which gives you a very small range for certain kinds of modulation, and you need to be aware that there are some positions where the level jumps quite a bit, modulating across this sounds odd.

Now imagine having these 6 parameters available independently, even if only accessible via the sliders.

How do you deal with storing patches on the Minitaur in a dawless setup? It happened quite often that I accidentally stored a patch the wrong location, overwriting other patches in the process.

2 Likes

disclaimer: Iā€™ve only had the minitaur for a month. That said, I find that the minitaur is so
Much fun to program from scratch that I donā€™t really use presets :slight_smile:

3 Likes

After years of tinkering with setups, Iā€™ve pretty much landed on a DT + A4 mk1 and Bass Station 2 combo (all run through an sp404mk2). Thereā€™s a lot can do in there. I also have a cycles I bring in and out, though usually keep that separate for on-the-go music making.

2 Likes

two Norand Monos !!!

3 Likes

+1 on the Volca Bass pairing surprisingly well with the DT.

I ā€œupgradedā€ from the Volca to a Monologue a while back and to be honest, the Volca sounds much better and richer than the Mono.

1 Like

Same setup here but I am thinking to sell the Digitone and replace it with Ableton Operator mapped to a Digitakt midi channel. And buy either the A4 or the Novation Peak

1 Like

I am thinking Digitakt, Bass Station and 303.
Or for smaller still footprint, Digitakt, DSI Tetra (it can run in mono mode), 303.

1 Like