Twisted Electrons deton8

https://youtu.be/ltylvYkwmds walkthrough.

This sounds excellent and the features/flexibility well considered. They confirmed on FriendFace that there will be more kits getting released for it but I took the implication to be that you canā€™t load your own samples though if that is the case unsure itā€™s a deal breaker as it already seems like you can get a nice variety of sounds from it.

Crikey, I donā€™t need anymore temptation.

I was thinking ā€¦
If each main sound had 8/16 variant sounds then it could quite easily be simplified to sound type/sound variants.

For example , snares have audio variant that makes it sound snappier , but thatā€™s only because the audio has been pre-effected that way.
Basically the hardware does the basic stuff (pitch , filter etc) and the variants are just sample chains or kits created via naming conventions of the audio file

Setting this up might explain why it doesnā€™t have user import.
And of course I might be very wrong , though itā€™s nothing a user canā€™t do on octatrack.

I think the hands on control is an advantage of this box , similar to model sample too.

Just to follow-up on this in case anyone else was interested but the Twisted Electrons site has been updated to say that due to the demand for it, the device will support user sample import and that a Sample Editor/Uploader is being developed. Iā€™m guessing it will only hold one kit at a time as Iā€™ve not seen a manual or anything on the UI which hints at how you could change them.

Nevertheless itā€™s does seem like quite a playable hands on box. Of course, there are countless other ways you could approximate this but it does have a certain somethingā€¦ I really donā€™t need any more temptationsā€¦

1 Like

it does look interesting but as ive already got OT, DT , Rytm and too much gear , iā€™m not in the market for another things.

but i do like their gear , i hope its a success , Iā€™ve had acid8 and therapsid in the past and they were nice little boxes.

2 Likes

Did anyone get one of these?

The small size is very temptingā€¦

4 Likes

I have the deton8. Absolutely love it. So much character and so quick to get a rhythm going.

1 Like

Does anyone know how the Tek09 kit sounds?

Iā€™m not really into the chiptune / grit sound, but would love the small drum machine to go with my Digitone and MB-33.

As far as I recall, it sounded pretty decent but you can load any samples you want (they need to be short, it has about 56k memory) but everything is at 8bit so itā€™s always going to sound pretty lofi. It doesnā€™t need to sound chiptuney but it will always have some grit - especially when using some of the FX like the drive, stutter and ring mod.

I wonder, would a Deton8 owner be kind enough to measure the case and provide dimensions here? @ddiamond84? I inquired through the TE website a couple days ago but nobodyā€™s gotten back to me. I have a wild notion that I might add this to my pedalboard but Iā€™ll need to know if it can fit. Many thanks in advance!

140mm x 95mm. Probably about 45mm tall allowing for the knobs.

2 Likes

Thanks a million! It seems like itā€™ll fit too.

Since weā€™re making requests of ownersā€¦

I would love a recording of the Tek09 kit on the actual device - there isnā€™t one anywhere online :slight_smile:
(I listened to the samples in the editor, but reviews say thatā€™s very different)

Iā€™ll be able to do this for you shortly. When I saw that shipping was free I had to pull the trigger. I like the cut of this companyā€™s jib and Iā€™m mighty stoked to have my first TE product on its way to me.

1 Like