Twisted Electrons Blastbeats

Yes, you need to do this with the SD card on a computer

1 Like

Resistance was futile :grin:

5 Likes

Welcome to the club of equally frustrated and amazed people with this machine! (amazement wins, though)

5 Likes

I feel like my decision was informed, as I’ve been following it since it was released and I’m aware of its quirks going in.

I also have other TE devices (with sequencers or actual standalone sequencers), so I’m familiar with their style of interface and I’m not expecting it to be like an Elektron box. And lastly, I’ll probably always be pairing it with some other drummie, so I’m not expecting it to do everything.

2 Likes

My Wife got me one of these for my birthday so I can sequence Blastbeats & Therapsid together with the Polyend tracker.

3 Likes

I would love to hear this combo! :smiley:

Just noticed there’s a new update with ‘VGM Jukebox mode’, the gift that just keeps giving.

1 Like

Nice, I had missed this one, thx!

Oh never heard of vgm, but just looked it up… any videos of it on bb?

4 Likes

That’s a beautiful thing right there. Never thought E1M1 would make me want to buy a synth but here we are.

1 Like

Has anybody had any MIDI issues with specific patterns only? I dunno if I’m just missing something and being really dumb but for some reason my pattern 4 on this song won’t receive MIDI clock properly. All the other patterns receive it fine so I’m very confused :crazy_face:.

little video just to make it clear what I mean - blastbeats MIDI issue - YouTube

I’ve tried factory reset and still get the same issue. Only with pattern 4. I can switch to another pattern and it plays fine.

Never had that!

Quite strange indeed

it’s so weird right? I reset the pattern, the kit etc. and factory reset the device. I tried it as slave to my MD and from Ableton and same thing, which I guess I should expect as its only affecting pattern 4, so it must be a Blastbeats related issue.

I’ve checked the manual and I can’t see anything obvious for what could be affecting it. Wonder if I should report it to TE maybe and see what they say? Maybe I will test with a new Song first and see if it affects other patterns as well.

Feel like every time I post on this thread it looks like a complaint so I want to be clear and say It’s become my favourite drum machine alongside my MD and I’ve been having a blast with it! Such an incredible sound and not that difficult to program once you get to grips with it.

1 Like

I think you should definitely report this to Alex.

About drums on the BB, funny, I actually barely use them - but it’s probably because I have a story with the Nanobox Razzmatazz at the moment. The synth tracks, on the contrary, wow! I can’t see the end of them.

1 Like

We’re doomed. :flushed::star_struck: Great feature. Monkey Island, I am coming!!!

1 Like

Monkey Island has to wait :dizzy_face:‍:dizzy::weary: The BlastBeats can play only uncompressed .vgm specifically OPL3. The problem is that most adlib video game music for DOS games is OPL2. Should be no problem because OPL3 is pretty much backwards compatible. Bit all ripped vgm onlinr for OPL2 have been ripped in OPL2 mode and the BlastBeats doesn’t play those… I think one can rip vgms alone but the procedure is time consuming. Would have to play and record all tracks in OPL3-mode on real hardware or DOSbox. Not sure if that even works. Hope Alex releases an update one time that plays OPL2 vgm, too.

However, if I had only one wish for updates - it would be polymeters.

2 Likes

Pretty sure the BlastBeats could play (edit: be programmed in a way that it plays) OPL2 songs after reading this:

https://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~arnost/opl/opl3.html#reg105

Big yes to polymeters. I’ve neglected mine recently, mostly because the sequencer is a bit of an effort but also vanilla. If it was an effort AND could do more unusual things like polymeter then I’d be more in. Still love it tho and will get back into it.

1 Like

I would really love scale mode on this. Even just major minor.

2 Likes