Tutorial - Loading Sound Packs?

Hello all,

I’m sure this might have been addressed at some point, but I’ve done a fair amount of searching and haven’t been able to find a clear concise breakdown of the process for loading Sound Packs.

Can anyone out there give a step-by-step for the best way to load multiple sounds from the Sound Packs, so they land in empty slots and don’t overwrite existing patches?

I, and surely many other fellow members, would be most appreciative!

Thanks in advance for your input!

5 Likes

i started a thread a while ago… to me the key was to understand they land in the pool from there your must copy them to the EMPTY bank, and then, delete them from the pool … 128 at a time max

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

Actually, I read the manual for the 10th time :slight_smile: and figured it out.

I chose to have the sounds drop right into the +drive, so I can grab them as needed.

Just go to the Global Menu:

• Sysex Receive --> +Drive Sound --> Load “Anywhere” (This will put the sounds into the next available empty slots/bank.

• Select “Yes” when “Anywhere” is selected. The A4 will begin listening for Sysex

• Shift+Select all sound files that are loaded into C6 and click “Send”

• You should see A4 receiving the sounds, then you’ll see them in your +Drive, to be enjoyed how you wish!

I’ve been enjoying dumping sounds to specific banks. Each bank has a purpose (bass, lead, pluck, drum hits, crazy ass shit, pads, etc. etc.). Basically the same above method, but aim the a4 at a bank instead of anywhere. It has been invaluable with efficiency when doing improv sets. Also a good idea to dedicate a bank as your “fav” bank and copy all the really great patches that you will actually use.

Now when I need a pluck sound I can double tap the track, hit N (my designated pluck sound library), scroll down to what I want and hit yes. Drums in D, Bass in P , Lead in L, pads in M, etc. I have no reasononing for the banks I’ve chosen… Other than I started at P as I wanted all he bass patches on the last bank. By the time I had organized the banks it was engraved into my brain.

1 Like

Ah! Very good point! I like your method!
Thanks!

hey there … glad you succeeded … what, you only read the manual 10 times? off course you wont succeed if you dont at least read the manual 20 time ;-=

i never managed to receive sounds other than Pool, even with Receive +Drive selected …

then C6 gave me the hardest time … (see other threads for this topic)

finally I was, and still am very worried about filling my A4 with doubles of sounds, when copying these around!

how do you re-order your sounds once they have been assigned to banks? … I find this rather tedious

1 Like

Not everything in life can be easy.

Am i missing something? I followed every step but still can’t seem to load in the free sounds from the Elektron site. Global Menu , Sysex Receive , +Drive Sound, select an empty bank then load the Sysex file Synchrotron-syx for example into C6. Then press yes on the A4, it begins to search then hit send on C6 and nothing… Am i missing a step? Just got my first Elektron and am only on my third day. Any help guys would be much appreciated.

Couldn’t you also filter your search to, bass, chord, etc?

2 Likes

Make sure your A4 is highlighted on both sections of the C6 connection panel and then press OK - you get to the connection options via a button on the C6 screen, but unfortunately I’m not in front of my computer right now to tell you which one. It should be obvious, though! Also, make sure you click on the file(s) you want to transfer in the main window before you press send, so that they are highlighted in blue. Anything unhighlighted won’t be sent.

Those are the 2 most common things to overlook.

Got it, thanks for the help man:))

Trying downloading SYNCHRTRON brings me a textfile I cannot use.
What to do?

Now it’s ok, I get a good zipfile with a *.syx file.
Thank you.

I also have problems transferring the latest sound packs. Have done this several times without a problem but my A4 won’t recognize the data being sent from the Synchrotron and Unmechanical sound packs.

If I load an older set like Biopads it transfers without a problem.

I’m on a Mac, using C6 v1.51, have tried downloading with both Safari and Chrome to no avail.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong?

I’ve been trying to dump sound packs as well (the .syx ones right off of the elektron site) - the A4 is set to midi input from USB, I go into Sysex Dump Receive, and there I’ve tried receiving into the +Drive (Banks D onward, as well as “Anywhere”), the Pool, and the main “Anywhere” option.

Receiving into the +Drive does absolutely nothing - no response from the machine at all. Receiving into the Pool keeps spamming “Received Sound 1” so I’m guessing it keeps overwriting the first slot as the successive sounds are sent from the one sysex pack - there’s between 24 and 128 per pack.

Using the main sysex dump “Anywhere” function it counts down the 128 sounds in a pack for example, but I end up with only one sound being received anyway - I now have “KRPNTR” (Bass) in slot 001 and nothing will overwrite that. I’ve tried this in new projects and everything.

I’ve made sure C6 is set to midi in/out sending to the A4, and I’ve played around with SDS on/off, as well as adding 1-2 ticks of latency to no avail. It’s still sending samples and sysex fine to my Analog Rytm. Completely stumped here :frowning:

Just found out why is wasn’t working for me. I had to update to the latest version of the OS to get it to work.

last os on your mac or on the analog4?

A4.
They should just say that on the download link every time, because every time people post that they have a problem due to that…

I’m getting a little bit frustrated trying to download sound packs to the A4’s +Drive. I updated the OS on my new A4 as soon as I took it out of the box. That went perfectly fine. When I drag the sound pack file into C6, highlight it, then hit send, the A4 just says “waiting”.

I’ve followed the instructions enclosed with the sound packs, and I’ve also followed the step by step instructions on the YouTube tutorial vid that’s out there. Still no luck.

Is there any difference if I select input only from USB than MIDI + USB?

Same problem here…