Turtleneck's Octa jam thread

Hello guys
This is my first post on the forum, so I found it fitting just to post my first track made using my first elektron machine.
The tune was made on a combo of an OT and a MPC 2500. I wanted to make the whole track on the OT, but it turned out to be WAy to challenging to figure out the workflow. Just getting samples into the feckin’ thing took me hours :slight_smile: I still find this box a bit of a mystery sometimes, but I’m also starting to fall deeply in love with the little Swedish bastard.
https://soundcloud.com/turtleneck/one_man_army_pt2

6 Likes

Naais!! Hard to tell what is what, but it works. I lusted forever for an MPC, the OT replaced my akai sampler. How’s using both side by side?

Thank you sir
Works a charm! A lot of the drums are MPC, but triggered by the OT sequencer. Breaks are OT, 303 is a vst (Venom ) clocked by the OT. The MPC can handle longer loops, so I use it for sequencing long float’y synth chords and shit. And it has 10 seperate outputs (if you hard pan a couple tracks into the stereo outs), but it’s also big and heavy as shit. So I don’t have no space for it in my shared studio flat atm. So right now I’m just trying to get more comfortable with the OT and all it’s secrets

Nice tune. Sounds like it must’ve been fun to make. Sounds wide and open, airy, seemingly effortless (meant as compliment, btw). Using just a few sounds and holding a listener’s attention is always a challenge, especially these days with limited attention spans. You’ve succeeded quite nicely in my opinion. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

cool track. curious tho, what’s up with the mug shot photo used?

Cheers guys. I must admit that I’m pretty chuffed with this one myself. So I’m glad you guys can dig it.

@Bwax - It wasn’t effortless at all man. I just got lucky - part one was kinda shitty :smile: Though I’m getting pretty decent at handling my fake 303.

@orangehexagon - It’s a mugshot of ODB. The sample is taken from a live performance he did when he was still in his prime. The photo must have been taken some years later. I don’t know why, but I found it sort of fitting. Him boasting about his drug habits and all. Didn’t even think of the inappropriateness of it until you pointed it out. I’m a dumb cracker. I might change it now.

So instead of posting a new thread every time I do some shitty track on my octatrack, I decided to rename this one instead.

So this one was made on a very simple setup. Midi sequnced microkorg plug into AB.
A1: Kick, A2: Snare, A3: Clap/Rimshot, A4: Hats, A5: Youtube sample, A6: Single cycle waveform, A7: Microkorg through track, A8: Sub.
Recorded into a focusrite card and slammed a bit by some vladg plugs (that man is a true modern hero!).

https://soundcloud.com/turtleneck/youarearound160powr3dyneqendlim

This one came out better than expected. Somewhere in between booty house and footwork.
Microkorg and a monologue sequenced through the octa, all drums done on the octa. I tried to separate the different tracks the best I could (you gotta make some tought choices with only the four outs). But I could have routed the microK and the monologue straight into my soundcard I guess. but fuck it. it’s ghetto house right
All the voice samples where recorded through a pair of headphones into my mpc, after I had recorded and arranged the tune.

https://soundcloud.com/turtleneck/bhstilfirstbounce160ghettoworkdithered

2 Likes

Ye so I’ve been listening a lot to DJ Stingray, old Drexciya tunes and other fast paced electro acts lately. It’s not that I haven’t focused on making electro before. Now I just would like it to be able to mix in with my more ghetto/booty/jukey/footworky stuff in my dj sets. And that is hard as shit. To make footwork compatible electro.
It’s not that I feel this tune is manky or anything, it just takes a little while to ramp the energy (around 1:50 it takes off imo).
Octa main sampler/sequencer. monologue as a 303 kinda thing. Synth chords/stabs on microkorg.
https://soundcloud.com/turtleneck/snedigelektro155okbangernmanglernogetdithered

would love some feedback guys. give us some thoughts. I mean you know the gear I used way better than I do, so write me some tips ya bastards. cheers

2 Likes

Ahhhhh shit! Drexciya/stingray and footwork stuff that’s right up my street… The last two things in a long time that have excites me.

I’ll try my best to get back here and have a listen, got a very busy few days ahead of me. Where you from? You sound british

Cheers mate. I appreciate that
No danish. I just nicked the twang :slight_smile:

Love that BHSTIL footwork tune!