Turning the M:C into a Single/Dual Layer FM polysynth or a 3 Layer/2 part FM Drum Machine with Individual Outs via Ableton and m4l

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot. Works great.

2 Likes

The guy I was speaking to about this on Facebook, I assume? Welcome to the forum! So many great people and ideas on here - you’ll get addicted to it haha

2 Likes

That would be me, yeah :wink: Been on the forum for quite a while, just never post. But this… this is too good, and exactly what I’ve been looking for.

2 Likes

I am glad it helps, still lots of work to do…anyone good with m4l?, I have used it for a couple of weeks…:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Sadly I can’t help with that, never gave m4l a try, but it’s something I really want to start looking into, just because you can achieve some great stuff with it and make your own workarounds. Thanks, Seta.

1 Like

I tried this out tonight with a model cycles and a digitakt and it worked well with both of them:) super straight forward and easy to use too. I’m totally gonna use this with an Octatrack and make some insane drones with super long samples haha. Thanks again

2 Likes

I was trying some dronie stuff with a dual layer snare/metal machine and ADSR envelope, it is so fun.

If I had the DT/OT I would try a dual layer single cycle wavetable 4 note poly mode. With envelopes, lfo and filter per layer can be quite powerful.

1 Like

This is very interesting, but I’m having some trouble wrapping my head around what you are doing (perhaps because I don’t use Ableton). If you feel like making a video of this in action, I would love to see it!

I will try to make a video or something once I feel is finished, there is still work to do and margin to improve things.

Basically this set up consists of the Following:

• 1 midi track where midi clips are recorded, then the following m4L midi fx; Polymind master (send midi data to satellite m4l devices in other tracks) Master M:C single or Dual layer editor (For creating sounds or midi automation from ableton) and 1 (Poly 6 mode) or 2 (Dual layer Poly 3 mode) Envelope master editors.

• 6 satellite midi tracks (T1 to T6 )with ableton External Instrument, audio only active in first midi track. Each track has a Polymind satellite, a CC2 (modified CC8 m4l device) and a envelope satellite which controls Volume+Distortion ( Will change that to track level better) plus another CC (Range can be set in the envelope menu). For poly6 all 6 tracks have same sound, por dual layer to sets of three tracks

• Another set of 6 midi tracks with External instrument and M:C editor satellites; I have not been able to make Polymind and the editor work in the same Midi track yet but I am looking for a solution

If you do not use Ableton or computers then you will need a midi interface capable of doing Midi Round Robin, I did not know such thing existed until I saw Loopop M:C review

2 Likes

i have no idea whats happening here but it sounds great on your demos. i have the m:S but doubt i could reproduce what i’v you’ve done haha

1 Like

Sorry I can not explain it better…:sweat_smile:, as I said I can send the ableton files to anyone …as long as they get the M:S editor from Qlabs ( I bought it then I edited it; as long as you buy the original I think is ok to share the edited version), as I said that one is not free…1$

Essentially, each note is sent on a different midi channel (1-6 in this case), so if you have six Tone machines loaded up (for example) with the same parameter settings (or not if you want), then the midi is being sent in such a way that it cycles through the 6 midi channels (one for each track) each time you send another midi note. In this way, you can play chords (up to a maximum of 6 notes at a time), or have the sustain portion or the tails of previous notes not cut out the moment a new note is introduced (because the new notes are on a different midi channel each time). Make sense?

ahhha! that does make sense and would be awesome in many ways, especially adding polyphony.
so the ms would stay connected to ableton while your playing it then

i sold my ableton suite license years ago and kept the standard , i have been wanting to grab the suite again and this looks like one more reason to go back

1 Like

You can just get m4l if already have standard, no need to get Suite edition

1 Like

ahhh well dang! that’s the ticket

Already used your plugin in my newest jam! The only thing that doesn’t seem to work for me: every time I load the project, I have to assign the number of voices again, it always resets to 1.

3 Likes

Sorry for the confusion, the plugin is not mine, it is available in the m4l user library. I have noticed that too, max4live have a default value, you can go inside m4l and change that.

I have spent most time in the las week modifiyng the deditor and m4l devices for my needs, today tried the 2part 3 layerFM drum machine mode, with individual outs for external processing. It is awesome.

Poly 5 plus 1 mono is the mode I still have to try, L output as polysynth and R out for the monosynth; configuration used in the Streichfeet (Different beasts though)

Very nice video, thanks for sharing :wink:

Is this basically a template in order to send midi to Cycles and change voices parameters + randomize ect?

It does all that; almost full control from ableton (Pad menu not available via midi) and allows to play it as an up to 6 note polyphonic synth. Same method can be used with any multitimbral monophonic synth or sampler like Model:Samples, Octatrack or Digitakt…

1 Like

:+1: