Turn off Track 8 Masterfx for outside source

Using the headphone out would work. Or getting a small mixer.

True & Truer :wink:

Thanks, lots of good stuff to try here now. I should mention that Iā€™m recording directly from the OT:s main outs, so whatever approach Iā€™ll take, audio goes out through those. I have a small mixer so if this really start to hurt, Iā€™ll just use that.

Iā€™m not sure that dedicating a thru channel will do the trick, since I think the Master FX track still affects whatā€™s coming in. Itā€™s like layering fx, but Iā€™ll try that and see if it works.

But now that Iā€™ve realized thereā€™s no obvious easy fix for this, Iā€™ve come to terms with it and instead structured which instrument plays what and shifted some performance ideas from one instrument to the other to not get around this, but make something else out of it instead.

Still, youā€™d think that thereā€™s an off-switch for the Master track affecting audio in. If I remember correctly, the A4 and AKeys (though newer machines, so the comparison is perhaps not entirely fair) only applies effects to audio input if you want them to. On the other hand, I think itā€™s forced on the ARytm, so perhaps itā€™s a feature that requires much development headroom with little obvious gain.

I should mention that Iā€™m obsessed with the idea of slimming down my rig to the equivalent of the divine proportion.

Adding a mixer would solve the problem and give me other nice options as well, but it would hurt my psyche. I would suffer, knowing that I had to throw in another device to compensate for my inability to compose amazingly genius music with only a lightbulb and a first generation iPhone.

But seriously, Iā€™m thinking one sampler (the Octatrack) and one instrument (Tempest, for now - though itā€™s threatened on and off by other options) and Iā€™d like to keep it at that.

So yes, thatā€™s whatā€™s sending me off on these trips to find options to make the instruments work for me in ways they werenā€™t intended.

Another choice would be to use no effects on Track 8 and do all your OT scene tricks using the effects on Tracks 1-7.

You could put compression and eq if you wanted to do some mastering of Tracks 1-7 and inputs.

While it can be a bit more scene setup work, having to adjust parameters on many tracks instead of just track 8, it does give you a lot of flexibility.

That could work. I agree, even if the setup is trickier, it does open up for other interesting options once youā€™ve got it working.

Although it doesnā€™t help the op, Iā€™d like to mention that the otā€™s inputs can be routed directly to the cue output. You do this by simply cueing the inputs:

Press Cue+input ab (or cd or both) and you will see the two red leds of that input flash one after the other, meaning that the input is cueued.

I, sometimes, use this when combining the ot with the MnM and the MDUW:

-MDUW comes in at input ab
-input ab is sent directly to the cue out.
-cue out is connected to MnM input
-MnM tracks are used to apply all kinds of fx to the signal
-MnM output is routed back into OT input CD

Using this setup, you can route the MD and any combination of tracks from the ot straight through the MnMā€™s fx and catch it back into the ot for sampling.

Watch out for feedback loops though!

M.

1 Like