Trying to understand the internal sample rate

Dears,

I've read here some users saying to upload files at 16bits/48khz. However i just can't stop questioning myself about it. The internal audio converter is supposed to work at 24bits /48khz ( Page 74 of the User Manual ). 

So, given this fact, why should we use 16bits ? Is the limitation related to C6 or to the sample playback engine ? 

Would be really nice to have some lights in here.

Thanks in advance,

On that same page of the manual.
"16-bit sample playback engine"

The 24 bit a/d d/a is most likely for the digital FX.

Buried in the FAQ too : “The Analog Rytm uses 16 bit/48kHz/mono samples. Samples with other bit depths and sample rates are possible to use, but will be internally converted to 16 bit/48kHz

Many thanks to both of you, AdamJay and avantronica.

Well, now would be really nice to know from them if there is any plan in the roadmap to change it. Because from my perspective, please correct me if im wrong, if we have a 24/48 audio converter engine running why not logically adapt the logical implementation of the sampler engine to read and play 24bits audio files.

What you guys think about it ?

there are a few aspects to consider which for now are simply academic as it is what it is and i have no horse in this race - so i say enjoy your extra sample time, cpu deployed on better stuff and upload time saved and enjoy it as it is today which is almost exactly as you wish !

I think the analog goo that Rytm smears on its samples (and this is a very good thing) negates the need for 24 bit files.
And, like avantronica said, it makes for more sampling time. Over 11 minutes per project, which is ample. I do, however, wish for an update that allows for stereo samples. In the meantime, I use a lot of trigless pan trigs to stereoize mono things.

in theory i guess, everything is possible; in reality, sometimes you need to come down to a compromise if processing power is what you need.
sure there’s a difference between 16 and 24bits (although mh…really?) but that also means more numbers right? numbers that someone has to compute :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

yep, stereo samples would be great…but then, it would shorten sampling time :expressionless: mmm…the red or the blue one… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

yep, stereo samples would be great…but then, it would shorten sampling time :expressionless: mmm…the red or the blue one… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: [/quote]
Sure, but just the option would be nice.
11 min (64MB, 16/48) per project is plenty , especially considering you’ve got 127 sample slots to distribute that around with.
That’s more than 5 whole seconds (in mono) per slot and about the same per pattern if you want to look at it that way.
Most of my samples would be mono, but stereo would be great for some sampled synths and FX.

yep, you’re right AdamJay…was re-thinking about it after posting and it’s a lot of time, it would probably be enough for an entire liveset :slight_smile:

Lots of nice replies…

In my opinion, the stereo idea would also be a really nice add-on as well as the 24bits option. I wouldn’t mind to sacrifice the storage area in order to have better samples …

As mentioned by avantronica earlier “Samples with other bit depths and sample rates are possible to use, but will be internally converted to 16 bit/48kHz”. Basically it means that there are some extra processing power available to internally convert the sample rate from X to 16/48.

If we are all right and if it is really a logical matter, everything is possible. Stereo, 24bits…. and if i had to vote, i would vote to have both options The difference from 16 to 24bits is huge.

How can we address this thread to the Dev team ?

16 bit means a theoretical limit of 96dB in dynamic range. I really doubt I’d hear the difference in practical application.

…how do these stereo samples survive the passage through the mono filter !?

Good point… so stereo might not be possible though.

Was thinking about the 24bit idea and looking into the diagram… Maybe the D/A converter Output that is connected to the analog overdrive has the 16bit limitation. Maybe…

It is an assumption… it is no clear though.

Would be really nice to hear from them.

Give it a try… open your daw, sample something at 24bit … then dither to 16bits. It is very clear for me.

So logical, as usual.
Mono it is. I reckon I could fake stereo by using two voices and an R rendered wave with an L rendered wave.

So logical, as usual.
Mono it is. I reckon I could fake stereo by using two voices and an R rendered wave with an L rendered wave.[/quote]

It’s fiddly, but I do this, usually on 7/8 or 11/12 - goodbye cowbell…

Hey there, how can you use two tracks from one voice at the same time as you described (7/8 and 11/12 are two tracks for one voice)?
I thought this is not possible. I always have to use two voices e. g. 5 and 6 when I want e. g. to play a stereo piano sample, since the two mono samples have to be triggered at the same time, which is as far is I know not possible within the same voice (as it would be in 7/8 odr 11/12)

i could imagine 16bit 32 khz mono-files upsampled to 16/48 for extra crunch