Trying to understand how to work with pattern chains live

So i just noticed this:
I have a chain of 2 patterns. Pattern 1 and 2. They both have the same kit and slight variations.
Now for instance when the chain is playing and i turn down the kick in pattern 1 it gets turned up again when it changes from pattern 1 to 2.
So the settings of the levels etc get saved to the pattern.

But how can i fade a sample in or out over more than one pattern?
I wish i could save only the sequence and not the settings of the samples.
I guess there’s no way to do that on the Digitakt.
Are there any workarounds?

Thanks in advance.

Dont think you can share a kit over several patterns like you can on A4 and AR.

Think you can just hope elektron add this in a future update.

AFAIK :wink:

1 Like

Thanks! So back to hoping. :slight_smile:

i save my sounds which allows them to be loaded up into another pattern. if i make a change to the sounds i resave so it transfers across all the patterns that are using that particular sound. i treat sounds like a giant kit for the DT.

4 Likes

I do that too but it doesn’t help if you play around with a sound during a live set. It always switches back to the saved sound when the pattern switches.

thats a good idea that i will have to look into - cheers:)

would you be able to save it while playing it live and carry on, then go back to that saved sound at will? i saw cuckoo doing it but i might be completely wrong

I resave the sound in the same slot with the same name and have not had any issues with tweaks carrying over to patterns properly.

I tweak the sounds all the time while doing a live set so i’d have to save sounds everytime i twist a knob.

Really just before you switch patterns should be fine unless you are doing some super complex idm or break core that has you switching patterns quickly. Personally I do downtempo/ambient stuff mostly and saving sounds on the fly after tweaks isn’t too difficult for me

But if i have 2 patterns running in a chain and want to make a slow filter cutoff sweep over the length of 4 patterns. Every time the pattern switches from 1 to 2 or back the saved cutoff parameter of pattern1 or 2 will be recalled.
So if pattern 1 is saved with a cutoff amount of let’s say 80 and i’m sweeping around at 30, when pattern 1 starts the cutoff parameter jumps to 80 again. That’s my problem.

Sorry, maybe i’m doing something wrong but i think saving a sound while sweeping the filter won’t help.
Thanks for your help though.

Ah I see what you are trying to do. There’s gotta be a way to do that using p-locks or live record.

1 Like

Yeah, that brings me closer to the solution. But after i recorded some live motion for 2 patterns the motion recording will overdub so there may be jumps in the parameters i think. Thanks man! I might get there eventually. :slight_smile:

Did you ever find the solution to this issue? Just got a DT last week

Unfortunately there’s no solution. That’s how the Digitakt works.
It’s a bit contradictory. On one hand the Digitakt is made for live tweaking as you can see in Cenk’s videos. On the other hand you’ll get parameter jumps if you change patterns that use the same samples while tweaking.

I use my mpc 2000 xl to sequence the digitakt as I’m not using parameter locks that much it’s not a down side seq-wise for me. I can still use the control all and reload function of the digitakt but am also able to sequence entire live sets. The digitakt is rather used as a sound Modul. I think you can also overcome this missing feature by adding a second digitakt for seq only while using the other one as asoundmodul :slight_smile:

interesting stuff! In your experience live , is it best to run less trigs per pattern and build up rather than save a project for live with patterns with some trigs premuted ? E.g. pattern 1 has kick and snare pattern 2 has kick snare clap OR pattern 1 has all three with clap muted

I guess it comes between chaining more patterns or just unmuting? So same difference?

I just got my DT, coming from the Machinedrum, so I’m not sure if this applies…

When improvising live on the MD I would some times have a Kaoss pad on the outputs. Sample a bar and loop it while copying and saving the pattern, then changing to a new one (because when you change to an empty pattern you get silence), then paste the pattern and continue. That way I can go back to a previously saved state whenever I wish.

It needs practice but after a while becomes muscle memory.

Of course, on the MD you can save kits separately from patterns too… Very handy that.

It’s not a solution for what the OP is looking for, but can be useful in some situations.

Its because each pattern is linked to its own (separate kit). Digitakt needs to be able to share kits across patterns like AR etc

I would hope that this gets updated at some point.

1 Like