Trying to understand "disconnected tracks"

Mode is one2 and Quant is 12/16 (track is in 3/4)

Apologies for the bump, but Iā€™m reading the manual before I buy an OT and I had the exact same question. I think I understand it now, buttons 1-8 seem to be geared toward live performance maybe? Let me know if Iā€™m off base here in my example here.

Letā€™s say I have 3 samples in Flex Machines:
T1 - Kick
T2 - Snare
T3 - HiHat

Then I have entered Trigs using Grid Record mode on those three tracks for a simple techno drum beat at 120 BPM, 64 steps.

Now I exit Grid Record mode, so the 16 buttons along the bottom are now just going to trigger sounds when I press them.
Buttons 9-16 seem obvious - if I press 9, I would hear my Kick sample played once. I press 10, hear the snare, etc.

Soā€¦now Iā€™m trying to imagine what happens when I press buttons 1, 2, or 3.

If Iā€™m understanding this thread correctly, if I press button ā€œ1ā€ it would immediately start playing my Kick sample as sequenced by the Trigs I have placed in the sequence, and at 120 BPM. Letā€™s say itā€™s just a 4-on-the-floor beat. Does it stop playing after 64 steps? Or does it continue to loop the sequence?
And if I happened to hit the ā€œ3ā€ button, which is full of 16th note HiHat Trigs, but I press the button off-beat in relation to what Iā€™m hearing from the Kick track, do the sounds automatically line up with the beat, or will my HiHats be ā€œoffā€ and I have to try to press the button exactly on time?

Iā€™m just trying to understand as much as I can before making a big purchase.
Thanks.

If the tracks are disconnected they donā€™t start with the play button. Trigs 1-8 will launch tracks only if they are disconnected, you can quantize the launch, Trigs 9-16 will trig the machines so play the samples.

Plays free tracks can loop or not, and you can have them carry through to the next pattern if the same track # is plays free, and it wonā€™t stop until you launch the new trackā€¦
(Edit: I think this is only good for looping samples but not sequencesā€¦ See pages 73 and 74: https://www.musicbycatabolic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ElektronNextLevel2016.pdf)

5 Likes

Ahh, so itā€™s an ā€œeither/orā€ type setting. Connected or Disconnected (Plays Free setting off/on). If all 8 of my tracks are connected to the sequencer, buttons 1-8 wonā€™t do anything when I leave Grid Record mode I guess.

Thanks for helping me understand.

1 Like

Correctā€¦ All 256 patterns have their own pattern settings menu where you can configure each track to be plays free or not amongst other settingsā€¦ And yeah, the buttons wonā€™t do anything if tracks arenā€™t plays freeā€¦