Trying to decide if the OT is right for me

Like I said, just connect MIDI Out to MIDI In.

Having just got on Octatrack a couple of weeks ago after a year with MD/MM, I can say Itā€™s different enough. Itā€™s certainly recognizable but there are some differences. Iā€™ve been thinking about doing a YouTube video of ā€œOT terms explained for MD/MM usersā€ but I have no real capacity to do so. So!

1. OT Parts are like MD/MM Kits. Part management is a bit simpler in ways - you donā€™t have to go through a lot of ā€˜load kitā€™ and ā€˜edit kitā€™ setup. Managing the machines is much more direct.
  2. Pattern Banks are a bit more important. Part of the simplified ā€˜part managementā€™ comes at the cost of you can only have four Parts assigned to a whole pattern bank. Upside of this is you can do quick-changes of parts instantly while a pattern is playing. And it forces good organizational skills.
  3. Parts are saved automatically (no need to do a ā€˜save kitā€™ equivalent) but you can manually save parts which gives you the quick-reload functionality of the Machinedrum (equivalent to the MDā€™s ā€œfunction-classic/extendedā€ button).

Beyond parts, there are a lot of new behaviors that tracks and things can have, such as free play (being independent from the pattern), one-shot play, and more, but those are the more advanced features. In my couple of weeks with it, I havenā€™t even messed with such things yet. But itā€™s in these options where you can set up behaviors about individual track length and how the whole pattern should behave when you have tracks with different lengths.

Yes. This is pretty easy and very effective. You can even use this as a way to make chord samples from an external monosynth.

I havenā€™t, yet. When you have MD and MM alongside it, youā€™ve got a LOT of things available to you. And you can use the OT as a mixer for those without taking up any of the audio tracks, although you canā€™t then use any track effects. When you start using ā€˜Thruā€™ and ā€˜Neighborā€™ machines to process input, it can get a bit crowded. But unlike MDUW, you donā€™t have to sacrifice tracks to recorders for doing sampling.

No, but the LFO designer could probably be used this way.

And, strangely, I havenā€™t found any transpose feature in the MIDI or other settings. I was hoping for one just to do that ā€˜make chords from a monosynthā€™ trick easier.

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for all the info!

1 Like

Whatā€™s your basic concern, though? What is it that youā€™re afraid you wonā€™t be able to do, that keeps you from getting the Octatrack?

Itā€™s an amazing piece of gear. If youā€™re into samples, what it can and canā€™t do doesnā€™t matter as much as its truly unique character. You will create grand things with it, if you put in the time.

Iā€™m really just looking for a new piece of gear that will let me get creative with a hands-on tactile interface. Tired of mangling shit in the computer all the time.

I hear you. Donā€™t worry. Itā€™s all that, and more. Just go for it. You will love it, Iā€™m sure.

Put aside any conceptions you might have on sampling, sequencing and recording and take the plunge.

ā€œWould I be able to play slices chromatically if I had one of Adventure Kids long 64 wav tracks that Iā€™ve seen in some videos? Will I only be able to play an octave down and an octave up (24 notes)?ā€

You can use a single-cycle wave as a looped sample (turn AMP Release down so itā€™s no longer infinite). Set all tracks to the same MIDI channel. In this way you can play notes via MIDI keyboard. Only 2 octaves.

You then have an 8-osc monosynth with each osc (track) having its own amp envelope, panning, 3 LFOs and two effects. I like to do a 7-osc synth with the 8th track running master effects. Each step can have a different waveform (via sample locking) to create cool temp-synced wave-sequenced-like effects. Connect the OTā€™s MIDI In to MIDI Out and set Audio Note in and Audio Note Out to INT+EXT to play the synth via the trig keys, without a keyboard.

Another favorite of mine: Call up a mono phrase that has no bass (such as a string ensemble passage) then use the audio editor to select the first 169 samples. Itā€™s your own single-cycle wave. Turn on looping, turn AMP release down and play. While youā€™re playing use the E knob to scan through the sample phrase. Live-record your playing.

1 Like

Perhaps not ā€œofficialā€ polyrhythmic, but I believe you can accomplish something like say a 5:4 polyrhythm (or similar ratio) with the OT via careful placement of trigs (microtiming function is essential) over the span of the larger number of the ratio. I havenā€™t tried it, though, so I could be mistaken.

Edit: Iā€™m really keen to try this now. And just found this:

1 Like

You can have up to 6 or 7 octaves lower with Rate parameter. It is possible to map notes to Rate CC with a midi processor.

1 Like

Well, so shoot me (again, Iā€™m taking a lot of bullets these days), but I picked up an Octatrack now. Got a good deal, a couple of euros below market price. Itā€™s been way too long since I parted with it, and all this DigiTakt talk kept reminding me how awesome the Octatrack is. It was just time to bring it back home.

And the irony, all the MPC Live talk reminded me just how much I prefer buttons and clicks and tiny crap screens, before them flashy touch-stuff bright lights.

Fossil fuel powered vintage sampling, here I come.

7 Likes

Aha just sent mine to Gothenburg for encoder repairā€¦ I miss it so much already !
Glad you pulled the triggerā€¦ Whatā€™s this thing about bullets ?

(ahem I moved our posts to a more appropriate topic) :wink:

I wonā€™t shoot you ! :wink:
Bullets for Esx1 comparison ?
My boatā€™s name is Sea Bullet (Ciboulette) so I like bullets. :wink:

I thought you wanted A4, OT and Digitaktā€¦

Woo! I bought an OT and it will be here by next Monday. Thanks for all the input on this!

1 Like

Haha, nothing :slight_smile: itā€™s just something I say sometimes, and if you keep saying it, thereā€™s gonna be a few bullets, eventually :slight_smile:

i like your boat already.

Iā€™ve restrained myself, for different reasons, to one instrument and one recording environment. The Octa will be my recording environment, and Iā€™m thinking that when the DigiTakt launches, itā€™ll be my instrument. The A4 is nice, but I just think the DigiTakt will appeal to me more.

Ah, love your work @PeterHanes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been eagerly waiting for delivery of an octatrack since last october 15ā€¦ Wonder when it will be deliveredā€¦ Delivery time is being postponed every time the proposed dealer deadline comes close.
Seen already a lot of tutorials and read the manual a few times, and although i feel intimidated, i canā€™t wait to put my hands on it. Iā€™m totally new to this but also totally excited. I hope i can cope the machine once itā€™s there.

Ha! I spotted a comment of yours on another thread and though ā€œhe hasnā€™t gone and got himself an OT after all that has he?!ā€ haha. Gave me a chuckle. Funny thing is Iā€™ve been feeling the pull of the OT again. I think I have enough to resist for now.

In truth, the ARā€™s abilities might be enough for me or MPC Live more suitable but I think Iā€™ll always have a soft spot for what was my first proper serious musical instrument purchase some years back.

Good luck on this OT journey!

I sure did :slight_smile: it was a good deal, and I felt it was about time. Canā€™t keep saluting this piece of gear and yet not having touched on myself for about a year. Itā€™s just not credible :slight_smile:

After having spent about a day with this fine piece of gear now, getting to know it again, it strikes me that I remember everything. The muscle memoryā€™s intact and Iā€™m finding everything exactly where my fingers want to go. I know itā€™s popular to slam the OT for its interface, but I wonder. If a yearā€™s absence still means Iā€™m back in the flow right from the start again, Elektron mustā€™ve done something right here.

Except for swing. Canā€™t find it :slight_smile: not for lack of trying :slight_smile: Iā€™ve made it a point not to google it, or look in the manual. If I can sample, p-lock, add trigless stuff, copy pages, create and copy scenes, build polyrythmic patterns and whatnot as if time never passed, then goddamit I should be able to find the swing.

Havenā€™t yet, though :slight_smile:

Maybe itā€™s me just not being funky enough yet.

1 Like

Heres a hint; remember things are sometimes different in record mode.