TRS cable input for Digitakt

Hi - just picked up the Digitakt. The manual states to use TS cable for inputs. I only have TRS cables coming out of Komplete Audio 6.

Will this be an issue?

It doesn’t have Balanced (TRS) inputs. So most people would just use a TS Cable.
TRS Cable shouldn’t cause any problems though, it just won’t make the signal balanced, it’s the same as using a TS.

Thanks - that’s my main concern, that there won’t be any issues or damage.

Nop your good to go :slight_smile:
Just double checked with mine, works fine.
Still re-purpose the more expensive TRS Cables for a balanced connection, like from your soundcard to the speakers and just use TS cables for your digitakt inputs.

the only thing to worry about is that the trs cable may be longer and may “stretch” the ts jack. generally one
only wants to insert the trs cable into the ts jack until the cable hits the first “click”. any further in can possibly cause damage over the long term. unsure if this is the case specifically for the digitakt though, as im not in front of the machine to try right now.

What the what? TS and TRS plugs are standardized and are the same overall length. TRS jacks just have an extra contact for the ring of the plug. Plugging a TRS plug into a TS jack isn’t going to “stretch” the jack out. In most cases, the ring conductor will simply be ignored.

6 Likes

Well… there has been considerable variation in the dimensions in 1/4" plugs over the decades. And it is true, that for a while in the past (30+ years ago?) some manufacturers had tips that were more squat than the conical shape we see pretty much everywhere today. At that time, if you forced a conical tip plug into a socket that was designed to only accept the squatter plug, you might end up hurting the socket, and vice-versa would feel “loose”.

However, I haven’t seen that kind of squat head plug or socket on anything made in the last 20 years… So I doubt the Digitakt’s mono inputs would be designed to not accept the conical tip found on pretty much all modern cables.

1 Like

Ok. Not gonna argue bout it. Length was the wrong word choice. It’s more ring placement vs where they click in place.

Oh ok, yeah. That’s what I was getting at too. I still think plugs should be fully seated though, otherwise they would just kinda dangle in the jack, right? We’re probably saying the same thing, hah.