Trouble syncing OT and iPad

Hi all, this is the setup:

OT midi out -> Kenton host midi in
(OT is sending clock in the midi setup menu)
Kenton host USB port -> iPad, via regular lightning to USB cable
Patterning is set to receive midi clock in its options.

No clock received, none sent when the cables are switched. My OP1 responds to midi fine with the same setup so I know it’s not the Kenton box playing up.

Any ideas?

Seems like this might not be possible with just a Kenton USB midi host, iPad and OT? No midi being rxed at all. If so it’s yet another disappointment with this iPad, bought it exclusively for music apps and it’s nigh on useless because Apple has everything under total lockdown. Junk.

I don’t know about Kenton but it’s probably not the iPad, I use an Iconnectmidi4+ and have no problems with bi directional midi over 16 ports and network…

Try a different app or dig into the midi settings on the file screen in patterning. Or pick up one of the midi to link apps?

Tried an app called midi wrench, kind of like a midi monitor thing, it doesn’t detect anything coming in. Seems like the only way to get the ipad talking midi to hardware is by using the CCK and a midi-USB cable or class compliant audio interface with midi ports - the Kenton can’t do it.

Didn’t realize the Kenton was not class compliant. Yeah. That’s a big deal.

Alesis IO dock works great… Ive synced patterning with OT, as well as tons of other stuff

you’ll want something with a decent pair of 1/4" outputs anyway… this dock has 1/4" inputs so you can easily integrate other audio gear as well