Trouble saving projects on monomachine

so, i’ve had the mono for a few weeks now and all is well execpt, whenever i load a new kit it still has the same sequence as the last project, so i delete the sequence but then when i go back on the last project (with the original sequence) the sequence isnt there! :disappointed_relieved: please help. -motherland

Hmm is this your first Elektron box? You may need to understand the flow of Elektron machines.

Kits and patterns are separate things, though they can be linked together very easily if you’d like. Just so I’m sure I understand you, let me give an example of how I set up my projects (which, btw, isn’t really an accurate term for any of this stuff, as “project” never occurs in the MnM vernacular.)

Let’s say I make a pattern on A01. And I like it! I’ve got a bass, a lead, a drum part, some FX, I’ve got all six tracks being used, and I want A01 to sound exactly like this every time I load up A01. So I save my kit. If you don’t know, a kit is all the machines you’ve got loaded up and their parameters, their routing, etc. I find myself frequently saving a kit if I make an adjustment I like, or if I plan to make some radical adjustments I don’t like. Save early, save often applies to Elektron boxes just as much as it does to working with computers.

So now that you’ve saved that kit, it’s linked to A01. This doesn’t mean you can’t load up a different kit and play A01, all A01 is is a sequence which tells the machines to play back certain notes. It’s just trig data–that’s it.

This also means if you go to, say, B01, you can load up this same kit you already saved and make a new sequence with it. Or let’s say you like that kit as a starting point, but want to change around some things, so you swap out your flanger for a chorus and decide to save that as a new kit. You call it “Cool Kit 2” or something. Sweet.

The thing about sequences, though, is that they save automatically. If you have A01 just how you like it, and you play around with taking away trigs or adding in new ones or whatever you do, it automatically saves just like that. Consider Elektron boxes the Dark Souls of synthesizers: Be careful what you fuck with, as it could bite you in the ass. Think before you act.

Hiccups like you’ve experienced where you end up losing data are common when learning these things. I can guarantee you everyone on this forum has had similar mishaps–some probably even far worse! Just consider it a teachable moment and move on, vowing to never make the same mistake again.

5 Likes

yes, its my first elektron box but i got it used, so the previous owner might’ve fucked up the settings before he gave it to me.

I don’t think anything I’ve said are settings that can be changed. If you want a clean slate, look into the different factory reset settings. I believe when I got mine I did an “empty reset” which reset all the kits and patterns and global settings, but kept the OS firmware and some other stuff. Don’t quote me on that, though–look into it.

okay, but is there a way to make it so when you load a kit the sequence dosent load? sorry if im being a hassle, i just dont get it :neutral_face:

A sequence and a kit are two totally separate entities. As said, they can easily be linked, but there is no such thing as not loading a sequence because when you turn the box on, the last sequence you were playing is already loaded. Whether it be A01, B07, F03 or whatever it was.

The best way to “get it” in terms you would personally best understand is to play around with all these ideas. Make a quick sequence you don’t care about on an empty bank, save the kit (which will now be linked to that sequence). Load a new kit. Go to a used sequence. Go to an unused sequence. Make obvious changes to a kit. Save it as anew kit. Load it to a previous sequence. Take all of these ideas to their most logical and most obvious extremes.

It’s like when you had a guitar amp and you didn’t know what treble or bass was, so you cranked the crap out of the treble, found it made a harsh, shrill sound, cranked the crap out of the bass and found it made a muffled, boomy sound. Oh, okay…That’s what those knobs do.

Mess around with all this stuff with the intent of “I want to see how this workflow actually works.” Eventually it will all click.

The kit is the six machines that you have loaded and all their various parameter settings (basically).

The pattern is the trig data (and things like arp, slide, etc).

The kit assignment is one aspect of the pattern and can be changed freely without affecting the trig data.

Multiple patterns can have the same kit assignment.

Changes (when saved) to the kit will affect any pattern using that kit.

Changes made to patterns auto-save as you make them. Changes to kits must be saved manually. If you change to a different pattern that uses a different kit, you will lose any unsaved changes to the kit you were on before.

If you switch patterns, and the new pattern uses the same kit, the kit will not be reloaded. This makes pattern transitions much smoother and allows for tweaking parameters on the fly (or over a longer period of time, e.g. by an LFO) without them being reset when you change patterns.

4 Likes

you might want to have a look at this as well, which is more related to making sounds on the MM than what you asked but probably good to know it’s there… :smiley_cat:

Also,
Projects on the monomachine are referred to as snapshots. These are accessed through the global menu. The snapshot saves the current state of the machine (song data, kits, pattern data, midi, digibank). Your mnm needs to have the +drive to do snapshots.

1 Like

so, i’ve had a monomachine mk1 for a long time now and its been very fun. a few days ago i made a song (kit) with a nice lead, a nice bass and some cool effects. when i had the courage to start working on the next kit the sequence of the first kit was on the second kit. i sighed and deleted the sequence and made the new song but when i went back to the first kit since my friend wanted to see me perform it everything was gone! please tell me how to get a blank sequence for every kit, or how to fix whats happening! :sob:

SAVE SAVE SAVE your kit whenever you’re happy with it or made a change you want to keep. if you don’t it wipes/reverts when you change pattern. welcome to elektronville.

1 Like

This thread should be useful to you. Like the poster over there, I think you’re missing an essential understanding of the difference between kits, patterns, songs, projects etc. These are very specific terms that mean specific things and have specific functions. Understanding Elektron terminology I think will help clear the mud here.

4 Likes

for some reason i still dont get it! :expressionless: i’ve tryed reading the manual and understand that the sequences are stored in A01, but is there any possable way that i could open a new kit and have a blank sequence? if yes please tell me how :persevere:

Blank sequences (aka patterns) are all over. You cannot turn the MnM on without already loading a pattern (the last pattern you were playing). If you want a blank pattern go to a pattern that has nothing on it. If every single pattern has some trigs laid down, then clear the pattern by holding function+clear (the play button) while NOT in step record mode. If you want a new, empty kit on that pattern, load up one of those kits that says “—” and all you’ll have are GND-Sin machines.

2 Likes