Trip to Japan: summer 2023 (Honshu)

Keep in mind that festivals are nearly the only way to see big acts in the summer. Lots of extremely minor bands play small clubs but acts playing in Fuji or Rock On are contractually barred from playing shows before the festivals.

2 Likes

enjoy some of these :slight_smile:
not as sweet as all the other CHU-HI (or CHU-HAI?)…my favorite.

Definitely need to try Strong Zero 🫠

3 Likes

while we’re at it

5 Likes

I actually wasn’t referring to music festivals, but local cultural festivals.

(Shameless plug alert): You can see an example of one such festival in this video of mine:

3 Likes

I told my mother in law that I liked this drink and she bought an entire case of it! lol

1 Like

You’ll get buzzed in no time, but not for me any longer.
I did like the pineapple ones a lot, but they seem to be seasonal.

1 Like

I’ve lived in Nagoya for 13 years. My main advice is don’t go to Nagoya (unless you need to go to Legoland). Spend at least a week in Tokyo and a week in Kyoto. Arashiyama in Kyoto is worth a day on its own if yo want to go there. Osaka is fun but there is nothing there you won’t get as a tourist in Tokyo and Kyoto (I’m aware this is a controversial statement).

Getting around by train in Tokyo can be very hard because there are so many interconnecting lines so try and plan where you are going a little to minimize getting lost. Nagoya is easy so I always get lost in Tokyo. Pasmo or similar will make paying easy. For tourist stuff, Tokyo Tower is more fun than Sky tree but Sky tree is really really high. For kids, my daughter loves Kyoto aquarium and it is in a nice park.

Go to Tsukishima to the Okonomiyaki and Monja street (book if you can, dinner time is quite early in Japan, 6 to 7). It’s a tiny man-made island in the middle of Tokyo.

As someone else said ATMs are quite choosy. 7/11 and the Post Office are the most accommodating for foreign cards. Make sure you have plenty of cash for eating out especially in family-run restaurants. There is nothing wrong with chain restaurants, plenty of good food there.

Kyoto is amazing but quite big and it will be hot and sweaty. The bus network is very good for traveling to the further out places as the train / subway is quite limited.

You might be lucky with local summer festivals, as I think they will be back to normal this year after Covid. You should find some local English blog / website that lists them.

Sea is bit tricky as the Honshu coastline has been concreted over about 95% so either have a week in Okinawa or concentrate on the mountains. Takayama is nice for a couple of days and there are lots of hotels with onsens and nice day trips to pretty places nearby. I’ve been to Hokkaido in the Winter but not on the summer when it is full of Japanese people escaping the heat.

If you go to a concert check the times, as they start and finish early. I’ve been to concerts that were finished before 8:30. Don’t take photos at concerts without checking the band(s) info first, it’s something that might get you kicked out if you are unlucky.

It’s an amazing country and despite the language problems surprisingly easy to get around and do stuff which is why I moved here.

4 Likes

By the way, if you inside in a busy place you will probably still be expected to wear a mask. Don’t be the foreign asshole that refuses. Although the rules (guidelines) are about to change,

99% of Japanese people will be masked up all day long. As a compromise, don’t bother outside unless you are waiting in line or in a busy area. When inside put masks on for example in restaurants when being seated then take them off when you sit down.

3 Likes

If you do go to the beach down near Kamakura or somewhere, be aware that you should go AFTER the “umi no hi” (Marine Day) holiday on July 17. I always assumed it was just a day for people to go to the beach, and never realized that it’s the day that they open up all the beach side bars and restaurants. It’s a much different experience going to the beach and having nothing open versus having loads of places to chill.

That holiday is also kind of the “official” end of the rainy season, which doesn’t necessarily mean anything in terms of the weather, but most local festivals happen after that date (most are in August I believe).

Mountains are very good as well. I highly recommend a trip out to Mt Takao if you want a quick Tokyo day trip or you want to take the kids on a pretty easy hike and see some nature.

Here’s a shot from the top a couple of months ago. Not the kind of scenery most people think of when they think of Tokyo.

7 Likes

It’s HOT in July. And humid!
Think, parasol, hat, cool-wipes.
I rarely visit in July/August, but when I do it’s straight up a mountain where there’s still some snow hidden in the shadows.
If you fancy a dip while in Kyoto, take a train to Omimaiko by Lake Biwa. And slather on the sunscreen. I almost lost an ear to sunburn about 15 years ago, walking around during the Gion matsuri in a cap, forgot the 30+.
One thing I do like doing in the heat of July, is late night picnics on the banks of the Kamo river (also Kyoto). Pack a basket with lunch stuffs from somewhere like Sizuya and pop the family on a blanket by the river. Usually get a number of street acts down there, but you’ll find a spot to chill.

Also, rent bicycles in the smaller cities, and outskirts. But stay away from the main streets, since a family of 4 popping wheelies through the local population will raise a few stiff eyebrows.

5 Likes

On my last trip to Tokyo I had three of these during one evening. The next day woke up feeling like some one removed all my internal organs and struck a nine inch nail through my head. Then traveled through the morning traffic to Hamarikyu Gardens feeling like my bones could crumble at any moment. At the garden I just sat on a bench for the entire day thinking I would drop dead if I moved.

So, yeah, recommended for that existential dread experience.

4 Likes

*Recommended for that existential dread experience kinda meltdown…:wink:

1 Like

We really enjoyed this book pre-trip: https://verasia.eu/japanese-for-travellers/385-japanese-food-the-original-point-and-speak-phrasebook-9784795838734.html

It was occasionally useful while there, too!

2 Likes

Good idea :+1:

1 Like

in your future I see pictures, many pictures… glorious pictures… and kilos… many kilos… some around the waist, some around the neck… where did they come from? what glorious things will you taste… what glorious dishes will you eat…

3 Likes

Try Nikko which is a 2-3 hour train ride from Tokyo. It is very touristy but innately beautiful with forests, rivers and temples, There are some decent inns and when we were there, an amazing filled eel restaurant.

1 Like

I’m also going to Japan in July. I bring some gear. Most of it has power supplies that accept 100V 50/60Hz.

Now, if I bring a powerstrip from Europe and use an adapter to plug it into a Japan socket, given that my synths power supplies can accept 100V, would I be fine? Or is the power strip a problem?

What it that power strip has USB ports, would that work as well?

1 Like

Oh thanks dear :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right?? 100V, 50Hz in Tokyo, 60Hz in other parts…