Trigs carried over from choked track?

Choking sounds often makes some wierd artefacts, which I understand maybbe artefacts from the shared legato amp envelope or from fast switching machines, analogue quirks i guess.
But when i trigger a sound on track 9 that has SMP set to 1 on the trig page, and choke some of these sounds by placing trigs on the same steps using track 10 which has a sound with SYN = 1 and SMP = 0, the SMP trig from the choked track 9 is somehow passed over to track 10, so I hear the sample on track 10, which kind of fades out over several triggers. Its pretty confusing when a sample appears out of nowhere on track 10 . Is this supposed to happen? Basically i can trigger samples on track 10 by placing sample trigs on track 9, which seems messed up…(same thing happens on other choked track pairs)

I had this or very similar thing happen when I was jamming. I wasn’t sure if it was a bug or part of the analog design. I don’t use samples that much on Rytm so never dug back in to figure it out. Looking forward to some more responses…
Edit: I guess I meant shared voice design… Did seem buggy…

I have the sound turned down on the analog machines. I don’t think its an analogue process. It happens when trigs are on the same step, or very close together. I can also trigger a synth sound using an adjacent track and simultaneous trigs - the synth trig just hops over to the other track…

Out of curiosity, are your samples set to loop? I think that’s when mine got weird… I could toggle off the smp parameter, the trigs would keep trigging, and there was an odd interaction with the other track but I forget exactly what…

No loop

I’m not sure if this accounts for your issue, but it relates to an aspect of choked tracks which drives me crazy

E.g.
Clear Pattern / Clear Kit
Live record mode
Record some busy rim shot hits on track 3
Switch to track 4
Record only parameter lock tweaks to Pan (e.g.) by twisting encoder

Now your RimShots are already Claps

I get the voice sharing and that T4 has priority

It’s just when the p-locked steps take precedence (which may be necessary for consistency) and get converted to full trigs from underlying trig hits which are only on T3 …

Something about it doesn’t feel quite right … haven’t considered the potential nuances of sample elements switched on to this behaviour

2 Likes

Ok, I wasn’t using trigless locks, but that is pretty messed up too, although when i do as you described, the rim shots are completely silenced at first, i need at least one clap trig set on track 4 (or just hit pad 4) for claps to be triggered by track 3, ( I can even stop and start the claps randomly by hitting pad 3 ! ) but yeah its not right at all. Did you contact support about this?
Its not like this is some pleasant analogue quirk, its seems more like the trig data being processed wrongly by the firmware.
It seems like the choke feature was maybe only ever tested when trigs or trigless locks on each track did not occur on the same steps…

2 Likes

Same situation for me.
Could it have something to do with the weird way envelopes are handled by the Rytm?
In that case, I read somewhere today that a workaround (not an ideal one) would be to reduce note length in the trigger page?
I still have to try this tonight.
If you’re currently sitting in front of your Rytm, you could maybe give it a try?

That can help with the legato envelopes, but this is different, note length can be as short as you like, the issues above still occur

1 Like

I also noticed that if track 3 has ENV trig =1 and track 4 has ENV trig = 0 , if there are trigs on the same step, the envelope of track 4 is triggered, so you can “play” track 4 with track 3. It seems like the track 3 sound is being triggered slightly before track 4 in this case ( though this doesn’t explain why SYN/SMP trigs are passed across) I would have thought that could be adressed in firmware, so a track 3 trig is deactivated if there is a trig on track 4 at the same position. Otherwise it seems like we have to use the same machines, with the same trig settings to get consistent behaviour from a sound.

omg what…!
somehow the way I use Rytm, mostly not having problems with this… probably I just don’t use sound choking mostly.

but tbh, when I read that, all I thought was… doesn’t this allow for a pretty cool trick?
what about this… same sounds in both track 3 and 4. trigger notes on t3 and use conditional trigless locks to tweak things on t4, using polymetric track lengths between the two tracks!
haven’t tried but gotta
(not sure about which track should modulate and which should trigger… maybe swap)

2 Likes

yep - there’s a great +ve from what’s an occasional -ve :thup:

I tend to do lots of tweaking in live record, so this occurrence is quite often, throws you a bit when the sound changes to the higher track layer

I guess conditional Trig less locks may as well be conditional trigs if the effect is to force a trig … but maybe the envs and lfos aren’t re-triggered … I’m sure there’s fun to be had in that area, sounds promising (especially the polymetric plocks aspect, that’s quite an epiphany, gonna investigate :wink: )

1 Like

i dunno, choking just seems badly programmed to me. Like I can play the sample on track 4 by using SMP trigs on track 3, which is just confusing. Move the trig on track 3 by 1/384 back and no samples play on track 4. Its just processing stuff in the wrong order when trigs are on the same step.

I don’t think its the same issue as the kit change weirdness. Its the sample on track 10 that is played unexpectedly, not the sample on 9. sample on 9 is choked by track 10 despite there being no SMP trig set on 10, its the SMP trig on 9 that triggers the sample on 10 somehow, when the trigs are on the same step.

When a kit is changed the sample on 9 continues to play if theres no SMP =1 set on the new kit. Its not the same issue as choking.

A Scene left on with sample vol 0 on track 10 should work as a temporary workaround. I sense an eventual support ticket but I want to gather more details first…

Have you tried reproducing the issue I described? As I’ve said, I don’t want to play the sample on 10, its set to SMP = 0, but its being triggered by track 9 being set to SMP=1 when trigs are on the same step.

OK, I edited my previous posts and removed the sample start end stuff because that only relates to the pattern change previous kit’s sample issue, sorry to be confusing, it seemed related…

Can confirm if tracks 9 and 10 have trigs on the same step, the on toggles from track 9 override the off toggles from track 10 and trigger track 10’s synth or sample sound even though they are coming from track 9…

Simplest work around seems a simple scene on track 10 with sample vol 0, and another with synth vol 0, use those instead of toggles.