Trigging a standalone CC message

I’m using OT with a Squarp Pyramid. I’m trying to use a Pyramid feature where when Pyramid receives CC69, it launches the sequence that corresponds to the value sent on CC69.

I’ve been trying for a while to figure this out-- how can I set up my OT pattern to send just CC69 value 3, no midi note info, one time on the first step of the pattern?

1 Like

pI‘m not at my OT right now, but wouldn‘t that work with a trigless lock (Function + Trig)?

and using the ‘1st’ trig condition?

Oh, I forgot he wanted to send only once at the beginning of a pattern^^
So, yeah, trigless lock with 1st trig condition should work.

Thanks, that looks right, a lock trig is what I need, but for some reason I’m still failing. I’m pretty noob so I know it’s something obvious, but please tell me what I’m missing.

Im in Midi mode
I have my pattern selected
In CTRL 2 SETUP, I set CC5 to 69 (the CC channel I want)
I hit record to go into Grid mode
[Func] + [Trig] on step 1 to place the lock trig. Trig turns green.
Hold down that green lock trig while turning CC5 encoder [CC69] to value 3 in Ctrl2.
Hold down that green lock trig while hitting left arrow, set Trig Condition to 1st.
Hit [Func] + [yes] to Arm All
Hit Play

And still no midi cc info comes out. I actually got it to work 1 time, so I know the setup is very close, but now I can’t replicate it. Anybody see my error?

Except for the [Func] + Yes which isn‘t needed (That‘s for arming one shot trigs) you set everything up correctly.

Sometimes it‘s the most obvious stuff^*
Have you set the correct midi channel for the midi track? Midi track not muted?
Midi CTRL parameter active?

1 Like

I have found that sometimes Octatrack midi tracks don’t send any information out until a note has been played on the track.

There need not be a note programmed in the sequence, but just play a note and then the CCs are allowed thru like an on switch.

1 Like

The OT only sends out CC’s if the value is different than the last value the OT sent for that CC… If the sequencer hits another lock for a different value for that same CC or if you have turned the knob before it reaches that lock again it should send the value.

If not sending a different value try double stopping (or triple stopping if sequencer is running - stop then double stop) and press play again…

1 Like

This was exactly the problem. Strikes me as an odd feature, can’t figure out why that would be default behavior.

Second, I have the conditional trig set to 1st, but I can’t say I understand why that’s important, can anybody explain it?

Uhh, I totally forgot about this…

You said you wanted to send the cc value only once. That’s what 1st TRC does, it triggers only once at the first pattern cycle.

I see. How would it behave differently without that 1st trig condition? And how is the 1st trig condition different than a 1-shot trig type?

Sample trigs and midi note trigs would play each pattern cycle, with 1st trig condition only once at the first pattern cycle.

I guess in your case, without 1st trig condition there wouldn’t be a difference, because OT sends cc values only when they differ from the last send value.

One shot trigs only fire once and then have to be re-armed.
If you change patterns after a one shot trig was played and you didn’t re-arm it will be ignored.
There would be no need to re-arm with trig conditions.

Btw, one shot trigs are not available on midi tracks.

1 Like

I think it’s just to cut down midi data to save midi bandwidth. OT assumes the last value sent to your synth is what it’s still set at so it doesn’t just keep sending the same value in succession.

As Schnork mentioned in your case right now it doesn’t matter because of the behavior we’ve been talking about. But say you have multiple CC locks of different values for the same CC on a midi track. In this case OT will send all of them on every pattern cycle because each one would be a different value than the last one sent. Putting a “1rst” condition on any of them would ensure they are only sent once on the first pattern cycle for use cases where this would be the desired behavior.

3 Likes