Triggering slices with midi notes?

Hello, I’m not one to complain about much, I freakin love elektron gear, p-locks and soundlocks separate them from basically everyone else making hardware.

After spending every waking minute with the octatrack MK2 for the last two weeks, I am starting to actually try and bring my visions to life now. First thing I notice is that I cannot trigger full control of 64 slices of a track with a midi controller ? only 4 pages x 16 triggers via the octatrack unit itself ?!

Slice sampling long phrases is the bane of my existence, I looked up this feature assuming I just didn’t have it enabled, I can’t even believe this isn’t a feature. Out of all the wild ideas I had, I figured at the end of the day, if nothing panned out, I have a sweet hardware sampler.

I know Elektron does their own thing, and I respect them for it, but I can’t really believe this… this is a core fundamental of sampling, why would they not include this feature ? Its not a complicated feature in any way either.

I apologize if this is a common feature request. Does anyone who is tight with elektron have any idea if this feature will be added at a later date? Personally, I would sacrifice almost all other midi IN features in exchange for full control of sliced long phrase sample.

Any help is appreciated :frowning:

4 Likes

Yep. Please, please add this. I think it’s bevause of a lack of available midi notes. Simple solution: create a second “autochannel” just for slices. Maybe not the most elegant, but it would definitely work.

2 Likes

Or use the existing auto channel, but only the first 16-32 notes. Waaaay better than nothing! (Or buying an expensive midi processor box)

1 Like

Still a feature request of course (you can add slots midi triggering) but there are workarounds with midi processors, sending CC17 (START) and CC48 (crosfader) before a note.
Works perfectly.

2 Likes

So you did get it working with the RK-002 cable ? :slight_smile:

Yep.

11 Likes

Noooice. Thanks for that buddy :sunny:

1 Like

I can put it on the RK-002/DUY portal if you wish, then anyone can program it on the cable via a MIDI interface without having to install and compile on arduino ( https://www.retrokits.com/rk002/exchange )

3 Likes

Sure !

1 Like

Ok, well here’s a direct link to the DUY sketch, anyone interested can upload the DUY-sketch to an RK-002. (Google Chrome browser is preferred when using WebMIDI)

3 Likes

thank you!

Hi There,

I might be confused re the discussion above. Are you guys saying that with the RK-002 cable and this script, we can connect a MIDI pad controller (like tha Akai MPD26) and auto-convert MIDI notes to CC data that will play Octatrack slices?

And if so, can the Octatrack record/sequence what we play from the pad controller as well?

Cheers

Ben

Yes and yes.
Mpd 26 needs a usb to midi din I guess.

1 Like

Game changer!

The MPD is old school(ish) so has DIN MIDI.

Amazing, thanks for all the hard work in this thread BTW.

How are its pads sensitivity compared to Mpc 1000 / 500, Mpd 226 / 218 ?

I can also add velocity sensitivity to the DUY sketch.

1 Like

I hadn’t seen the duy area before. , some handy things in there.

Mine was second-hand and has MPC Stuff pads and sensors so it’s nice.

1 Like

Somewhat predictably I can’t get this to function at all.
If I ‘upload’ the firmware, I end up with a cable which doesn’t seem to pass any data at all.
No pixel flashing on Octatrack. Nothing. Has anyone uploaded and got this working ?

The original script I wrote worked for me, but it was modified. Check instructions, midi channels.

Default midi channel seems to be channel 1.
Can’t test now, France is football world cup finalist ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes