Triggering slices with midi notes?

Many, many thanks! I will get to work and I will be back soon with something for the community, hopefully helping community members to self service themselves. Again, I thank you!

1 Like

I just wanted to say: THANK YOU SO MUCH! Your Midi Solutions Event Processor Plus script works like a charm! I simply loaded it up and bam - it worked! I will be back soon with details to share for everyone. :slight_smile: @sezare56 - thank you!

2 Likes

:slight_smile:
I have more complex scripts for slice control, letting you play slices chromatically, shorter length for higher octaves in loop mode…

3 Likes

I just wrote a sketch for RK002, it’s possible to trigger slices with it too now !
There is a new beta firmware Arduino based, it looks like that :

boolean RK002_onNoteOn(byte channel, byte key, byte velocity)
{
RK002_sendControlChange(channel,17,key);
RK002_sendControlChange(channel,48,key);
RK002_sendNoteOn(channel,84,velocity);
return false;
}

1 Like

After reading this thread I can only conclude that no one at elektron ever used an MPC or made beats… Even with mkII no MIDI note to trigger slice… :crazy_face:

I’m really now thinking of just going back to my mpc for some projects I have, this is a bit crazy. But along the lines of insanity, has anyone programmed an axoloti to process the midi events to convert notes from an MPC? I have one that I’ve used before to make a midi dispatcher so I guess I could retrofit it for this purpose…

You can trigger slices and slots with OT trigs.

If you can do a midi dispatcher with Axoloti, slice triggering should be easy.
Map notes to CC48 (crossfader), map notes to note 84.
CC48 must be sent before note.
You can add CC17 (start/slice) between if you want to record slices.
Scene A = Slice 1, scene B = Slice 64

I’d like slots midi control too.

Hello, I’m not one to complain about much, I freakin love elektron gear, p-locks and soundlocks separate them from basically everyone else making hardware.

After spending every waking minute with the octatrack MK2 for the last two weeks, I am starting to actually try and bring my visions to life now. First thing I notice is that I cannot trigger full control of 64 slices of a track with a midi controller ? only 4 pages x 16 triggers via the octatrack unit itself ?!

Slice sampling long phrases is the bane of my existence, I looked up this feature assuming I just didn’t have it enabled, I can’t even believe this isn’t a feature. Out of all the wild ideas I had, I figured at the end of the day, if nothing panned out, I have a sweet hardware sampler.

I know Elektron does their own thing, and I respect them for it, but I can’t really believe this… this is a core fundamental of sampling, why would they not include this feature ? Its not a complicated feature in any way either.

I apologize if this is a common feature request. Does anyone who is tight with elektron have any idea if this feature will be added at a later date? Personally, I would sacrifice almost all other midi IN features in exchange for full control of sliced long phrase sample.

Any help is appreciated :frowning:

4 Likes

Yep. Please, please add this. I think it’s bevause of a lack of available midi notes. Simple solution: create a second “autochannel” just for slices. Maybe not the most elegant, but it would definitely work.

2 Likes

Or use the existing auto channel, but only the first 16-32 notes. Waaaay better than nothing! (Or buying an expensive midi processor box)

1 Like

Still a feature request of course (you can add slots midi triggering) but there are workarounds with midi processors, sending CC17 (START) and CC48 (crosfader) before a note.
Works perfectly.

2 Likes

So you did get it working with the RK-002 cable ? :slight_smile:

Yep.

11 Likes

Noooice. Thanks for that buddy :sunny:

1 Like

I can put it on the RK-002/DUY portal if you wish, then anyone can program it on the cable via a MIDI interface without having to install and compile on arduino ( https://www.retrokits.com/rk002/exchange )

3 Likes

Sure !

1 Like

Ok, well here’s a direct link to the DUY sketch, anyone interested can upload the DUY-sketch to an RK-002. (Google Chrome browser is preferred when using WebMIDI)

3 Likes

thank you!

Hi There,

I might be confused re the discussion above. Are you guys saying that with the RK-002 cable and this script, we can connect a MIDI pad controller (like tha Akai MPD26) and auto-convert MIDI notes to CC data that will play Octatrack slices?

And if so, can the Octatrack record/sequence what we play from the pad controller as well?

Cheers

Ben

Yes and yes.
Mpd 26 needs a usb to midi din I guess.

1 Like

Game changer!

The MPD is old school(ish) so has DIN MIDI.

Amazing, thanks for all the hard work in this thread BTW.