Triggering an external looper with MIDi

I’m trying to trigger an external looper with MIDI form the OT.

The Loop Record message is CC28 and the Play is CC29.

The Value for each is 0-127 that’s all.

When i put one trig with a value it doesn’t trigger. It seems i need to put a second trig with a different value to trig.

When it trigs it’s only for a brief time and not until the message CC29 that would stop it. Would it depend on the length of the MIDI note with the Record message?

Yep. Unfortunately, a similar CC isn’t sent several times consecutively. Only once.

Sometimes I use an square lfo mode ONE to send 2 values…
If the looper (Hologram Microcosm I suppose) needs CC only, I’d I wouldn’t send a note and use trigless trigs instead.

1 Like

I’ll try both and see :wink:

A CC message doesn’t depend on any length. It simply sends the corresponding value (if that exact same value wasn’t sent before).

2 Likes

Understand “I wouldn’t send a note”.

I tried that also before posting but the record starts then stop like a second after, long before any new trig/trigless trig

Any rec length setting for the Microcosm?

Are you sending two CC28 messages to overcome the suppression?

Because maybe the second CC28 will be interpreted as stop recording similar like when you would do it on the device (press left footswitch to start recording, press again to close the loop and play it)?

IMHO there is no indication in the manual that it would record until you send CC29 to start playback or that you even need a separate playback message (unless the looper isn’t running at all).

3 Likes

No there is not.

That’s supposed to be the role of the CC29 message, to act as a second press on the leftswitch to indicate stop recording & play.

Ok, but what if you send CC28 only once? (“arming” it before start recording with a different value).

It doesn’t do nothing.

(Side note: i had to redo all the MIDI mapping, seems like 2 Midi tracks with the same channel don’t work but don’t get saved either)

With 2 trigless CC28 with different values i can start the recording but it doesn’t stop.

1 Like

Ok, I see.

(thx, I was really curious, because this information is nowhere to be found)

1 Like

I sent an e-mail to Hologram.

I think things would be easier if the CC28 had different possible values.

It seems to not behave always the same, that’s very strange.

I had some success with only trigless locks (2 CC28 and 1 CC29 at the end) but can’t reproduce it…
i changed NLEN and SPD in the arpeggiator and it seemed to work although the arp is off :crazy_face:
I am very careful to delete the loop on the looper and double stop on the OT before each try. The locks are set on 1st.

Ok so i need to change the value of the CC29 between each try (even pressing twice stop on the OT) or the looper won’t stop.

I managed once to have a loop but it was not the right length since i need 2 triggers to launch the looper.
Now it just loops the second after the stop trig…

Edit: i tried with LFO trigless lock but now the looper starts even when the OT is stopped. As soon i select the CC5 it starts. Are the MIDI signals sent constantly even when the OT is stopped?

I give up.

If someone resolves this within the next year i take it.
After a year i shall be hosted in an asylum for insane because of the OT.

Hopefully they’ll let me take it in the cell.

1 Like

If someone resolves this within the next year i take it.

No problem. Send me your Microcosm! :content:

Or because of the Microcosm?
How does it behave if you tweak CC28 to start recording?

With 2 midi tracks you can send 2 different CC28 values once imho. Mute to alternate.

If not satisfying I would also try with another gear sending CCs normaly (each time), to check Microcosm behavior.

With a midi processor, you can send any message from a note, even program changes…

1 Like

So far i need 2 CC28 to start recording and 1 CC29 to stop record & play.

I was about to accuse the MC but it keeps obeying it seems. Just that the orders I give are not clear :wink:

It starts recording. Hence my try with LFO or the need for 2 CCs to start.

I can’t since it is not possible to have 2 MIDI tracks sending on the same channel with the OT (it’ll take only one).

Unfortunately i don’t have any other gear that sends CC’s.
I got an iPad but i would not know how to send precise CCs with it.

From what you said it doesn’t work properly sending 2 CC28. I’d try that :
Send only 1 CC28, to start recording, and send the 2nd one just before the CC29, in order to arm next CC28.
Do the opposite for CC29 : send it just before the first CC28 in order to arm next CC29.
For both use 2 different trigless, with microtiming to make them close as possible.

Ex, to record 8 steps :
Step 4 CC29, Value A microtiming +23/384
Step 5 CC28 Value A
Step 12 CC28 Value B microtiming +23/384
Step 13 CC29 Value B

You can send 2 different values of the same CC with 2 tracks alternatively. I already did it to send mute messages to a digitone.

1 Like