Trigger samples from Audio Pool?

Note 024 is to Play the Track; and thus should play any trigs / trigless locks etc
Note 036 is to trigger the Sample

Depends on what suits you best?

Do you actually mean the note C1 (24) or do you mean the Control Change message CC 024? I believe itā€™s the actual note not the CC message that triggers the action. Changing the CC 017 value changes the slice thatā€™s triggered, right? Thatā€™s how itā€™s working on my end at least.

Note. Sorry, coding at the same time on other computer.

No problem, I followed you. And I also get what you mean about the lag. Just to clarify the point about triggering the sample vs. triggering the track, Iā€™m still not grasping that. I get that triggering Audio Track 1 Play is just a basic 1-shot playback command for the sample/slice (right?), but what does triggering Audio Track 1 Sample Trigger do thatā€™s different? I could, for instance, reverse the sample/slice and p-lock that, so triggering the entire track instead of just the sample would reflect any p-locks I added? Not even sure how I would p-lock it since Iā€™m not actually using any trigs or patterns.

Thereā€™s no gap if you use crosfaderā€™s CC48, if you assign slices to it.
Try also 300 bpm scale x2.
Both detailed in that thread :

You can plock samples to Play Free Tracks and play them : 16 samples per part.

Why donā€™t you want to use OTā€™s sequencer?
What are Pyramid benefits?

The main reason is that Pyramid allows me to build entire song-length midi files on my DAW, with as much polyphony as I want, then import the files directly into the Pyramid via an SD card. Itā€™s so much easier to visualize the whole song this way, and no need to chain patterns or anything. As far as I know, Octatrack wonā€™t let me import midi files from a DAW, and even if I were to build one in OTā€™s sequencer, Iā€™m restricted to 64 steps (? or so), so Iā€™d have to chain a bunch of patterns together to get an entire song. Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong! I hope I am, would be great to do everything on OT.

Maybe @rusty can or will be able to with OctaEdit?

Hell yea, that would rule!

I can see OctaEdit is temporarily unavailable but I would totally pay for the last version if an exception could be made in this case

Checking back in on this, does anybody know if OctaEdit makes it possible to import longer, song-length midi files to OT? And if OctaEdit is still unavailable, if thereā€™s any other applications that might do it?

IMHO this is an impossible task if the data in the MIDI file is not specially structured to fit into the restriction of a pattern based step sequencer with single voices on each track. Even to come near to the original it would need to split the midi into single patterns and multiple tracks even with different pattern lengths (when tempo changes are required) and it needs to generate arranger files for it. All in all quite much effort for ā€œsub-optimalā€ (read: crap) results.

An then there is the transposition problem (only Ā±1 octave) ā€¦

1 Like

OctaEdit does not currently provide Midi Import functionality.

OctaEdit does provide Midi Export functionality to Midi Type 1 on a per track basis. This can include Trigs/Notes and Parameter Locks; or any combination thereof, with automatic transposition [ -12 | - | +12 ] if desired.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Seems like my best best would be to connect OT with my Squarp Pyramid via Midi and try to sync them on play start. Not sure which is the better choice for slave/master but some combination therein seems like the best way to accomplish this.