Trigger muting and unmuting

Am I able to unmute a track in the middle of a pattern and program it such that nothing in the pattern before I unmute it will play until the next trigger is hit.

For example i have a deep/long bass drum hit assigned to a track… when i unmute the track in the middle of the pattern during live play it will pick up the audio of a previous trigger but the track was muted when the sequencer passed the initial trigger

No, that’s how mutes work on the OT. Patterns are treated the same way as audio loops.

Workaround: control amp vol, for instance, via an external controller. In this case, the release of a previous trig will not be heard because it has zero volume.

Other workaround: using MIDI loopback or external MIDI triggers for this track, that’s more complicated than the other workaround but also more flexible.

Third workaround: using different patterns instead of mutes. I think that’s not really what you were looking for but I guess I would choose this method because it’s so easy.

A few ideas:

• Don’t put any trigs on the track, and plug the OT’s MIDI output back into its input. Set the output channel of one of your MIDI tracks to the input channel you’re targeting. Now stick your trigs on the MIDI track, not the audio track. Muting the MIDI channel will mute the notes of your target channel. Be really careful about your MIDI settings, basically you don’t want anything sending MIDI unless you explicitly tell it to.

• You could trigger the track as Plays Free. Of course then you have to set up your sequence such that it will actually make sense play it from the beginning, at the point in the sequence that you trigger it. So if you start it on the 3rd beat of the master pattern, you have to set up the track’s pattern as though it were starting from beat 3.

• Not sure if this will even work (heh) but you might try holding the track key and pressing “stop” twice (or is it three times?). I’m not even sure what this will do but it might do what you want.

Sorry, kind of a wacky post. Spaghetti, meet wall.

(EDIT: clarity)

D’oh, MK7 beat me to it and suggested much of what I did already.

A couple more thoughts:

• Manually remove/add the trigs (conceptually simplest by FAR)

• Keep the pattern empty initially, then copy trigs from another page of the pattern. This could be cool if your pattern is playing half speed compared to the master pattern, but you have a master pattern length that restricts the extra pages. Then it’s like you have 2 sequence pages off screen that you can use as “buffers”.

:smiley:

I’m impressed of the density of suggestions on this page! I guess this should keep Joey2lanes busy for the moment. Ok, I posted 3 suggestions, but you!! :wink: nice

Yes, this definitely ought to keep the poor fella busy for a while :joy: I should spend less time on the forums and more time with my black beauty…

Let us know how it goes, Joey2lanes, especially if you find something cool that we didn’t think of!

one more for the pot …
works best on a simple example (one sample per track)
create a slice at the tail of your decayed sample (empty best)

So instead of unmuting the track, you’ll just re-allocate the ‘correct’ slice when you need, if digging for page menus is not to your liking, set it up as a scene (which brings other constraints)

So, no mutes, Jump from Start=2 to Start=1 when you want the sample to appear soon, where slice 2 is nothing !

I would put that track in half speed so you have 8 bars for it. Is the sample really longer than that?