Trig conditions shifted when chaining patterns (regardless of where the chains begins)

Hello, I’m having a problem with trig conditions and pattern chaining, I was looking through a couple of other posts about similar issues but none of those was really fitting, I tried asking on one of those but, since my problem’s a bit different, I decided to try opening a new topic.

I’m working with chained patterns and individual track lengths; nothing too complicated but I need most tracks to be running at double speed (every patter has the same setting though).

On the 6th pattern, I’ve set some trig conditions to 2:2. When playing the pattern by itself everything works smoothly; when I start chaining patterns the trig conditions are shifted and the sounds are triggered on 1:2, regardless of wether I’m starting the chain from the previous pattern (5), the one before that (4), or the actual 1st one.

I’m extremely confused by this!

I don’t see how this could happen; the triggering shouldn’t happen on the first cycle so, wether the DT begins counting the cycles based on the slowest track (the one that doesn’t run twice as fast as the bpm), on the beginning of the single pattern or on the beginning of the first pattern in the chain, it shouldn’t really make any difference…right?

I just don’t see how the triggering could happen on the first cycle of the pattern and not on the second (which is the exact opposite of what I was trying to do).

I hope I was clear enough! Anyone ever had similar issues?
BTW, the firmware I’m running on my DT is 1.20a

For the record, just in case someone else end up with the same problem, I did a few more tests…it was all in vain but here’s what I tried doing:

I created a different project, super basic, just a kick and a hat, with the hat set to run at 2x speed to recreate the same situation I have on the project that is giving me problems.
I set the hats on pattern 2 with a trig condition of 2:2 and I chain pattern 1 and 2. Eveything works as expected, pattern 2 begins with no hats on the first half of the pattern, as it’s supposed to.

I also thought maybe something like a sample not ending exactly at the end of its pattern, or maybe some trigger placed slightly before the first step of a pattern, might cause problems (although I doubt it), so I made sure I had clean ends and beginnings on those problematic patterns. It didn’t help.
I tried playing around with channel and master lenght, still useless.

Since I’m using a DT and a DN I tried making sure everything was set the same every time I made a modification, then I tried turning off the DN and playing the patterns only from the DT. Once again, it was useless.

This is getting me even more confused. Obviously I can always record every pattern on a DAW and sequence from there but I was counting on avoiding that for the time being.

I guess I’m gonna try contacting elektron, but I thought of checking out here before doing that since last time I had a problem it took a while to have an answer, and it didn’t really solve my problem at the time (to be fair, in that case it was a software issue and probably the problem was with my computer, this time around I’m using only elektron’s gear so I might be more lucky)

I’ll let this last post here, just in case someone was having this same problem:

I have been in contact with elektron about this, I was told that they are aware of this problem and I was asked few more details about my project’s configuration.
I have this problem happening on both my Digitakt and Digitone; apparently it also happens on the Analog and Model series products. It has to do with projects using different time scaling on different tracks.
Hopefully it will be solved with the next firmware update.

2 Likes

I thought they said they fixed that issue a while back.

Apparently not completely :man_shrugging:, it happens in some cases when tempo track is multiplied.
As I was saying, the guy that answered me said that, while testing, he had the same results as me also on machines other than the digis (he mentioned the analog and model series).

He added that “It is most likely the “track loop counter” that isn’t working as it should when patterns are chained in some situations” and that they’re investigating the issue.

For now I had to record every pattern on bitwig and sequence from there.

1 Like

I am having this issue as well. I was prepping a song for performance today, and I had to switch trig conditions from “1:2” to “2:2” and vice versa in order to get it to work correctly when the pattern comes after another pattern in a chain. It works correctly when I play the pattern by itself, but it malfunctions when chained. I have had to adjust trig conditions on other pieces before during this year for the same reason.

This song I was practicing today I programmed a while ago (in 2019, I believe) and it used to work correctly, and now it doesn’t. Does that mean that this issue was introduced in the last firmware update?