Travelling with the Digitakt

Another inquiry for wisdom! I will travel with the Digitakt and want it to be safe. Of course it’ll stay in my hand luggage. Still, I’m thinking of getting more than just wrapping it in some material for protection.

I’m thinking either the plastic top cover sold by Elektron, but would still need to wrap the whole in something so that it stays in place. Else I saw this at Thomann, anybody has experience with it?

Thanks!

I have travelled from Australia to UK and back with an octatrack in my hand luggage. No lid. Just some foam around it. Totally fine no issues.

Ive also travelled a fair bit of Australia for gigs. Octatrack inside an Odessy redline bag. No lid. No worries.
Im pretty sure the digi knobs are metal shafted and much sturdier than the plastic shafted Mk1 Octatrack. So, yeah dont worry about it, the elektron boxes are tough.

2 Likes

I have that Analog Cases Pulse case. It’s good for fitting the Digitakt, PSU and maybe some extra cables. I’m not sure that the case would protecc the unit if I dropped it on the hard floor. But I’ve been careful when travelling up and down from the North of England to the South each week and the case has served its purpose.

1 Like

I would still recommend the hard lid … I think the biggest issue when travelling is knocking the knobs, as that would be the most fragile part. I’ve used one to travel with my DN, and has worked perfectly.
I also put it in its own soft bag

3 Likes

I put mine in a cloth bag first, then put it on the “bottom” of my bag and the clothes on top. It’s a small rolling bag, so the bottom when packing isn’t the bottom while rolling.

I’d want a case like that if I had several pieces of gear and I wanted to put them together and transport them. Especially like cleaning up after a gig. Put six things in cases like that and stack them in a crate. If it’s just one piece of gear in luggage I don’t think it’s necessary. I wouldn’t pack it in checked luggage, but that’s more about theft and airport security.

Brought mine on a 12 hour flight. Hard lid + wrapped in a hoody in my backpack.
There was power outlets on the flight so I was able to make a few sketches on the flight too!

If you’re bringing it handluggage dont forget the power cable and some headphones!!!

1 Like

Flown with mine a few times now, get the lid 1000% It’s so cheap compared to even a single repair of your DT. I just throw a rubber band around the unit to keep the lid tight and carry it in my hands in the airport, with the AC and headphones in the easy to reach side pocket of my bag. Hard for it to get damaged when you never let it out of your hands! I have the analog case for my ELZ_1, good case.

Hi,

I bought two of this “Jansport Lunch Break” u$s22 per each:

And enter, all the cables (Batery, Usb, Midi)

1 Like

cheap tip: if you already own the decksaver, secure it with double-sided velcro.
it will cost you next to nothing, and does the job perfectly
I’ve done this lots of times to take it with me on gigs, never had a problem

3 Likes

Thanks for all the answers! Helps me a lot.

I think I’ll buy the plastic cover to be super safe, and strap it with something so that it stays in place. I have a battery and bring the headphone, may make a beat in the air :blush:

5 Likes

Seriously,I may sound like an idiot but I use the Digitakt original cardboard box to carry it around.I find the small case in the bottom a genius way carry the cables so I never use anything more for it so far.

4 Likes

Yeah I thought about that as well. Not idiotic at all, very pragmatic I would say. In my case it makes the thing a little too big to I ended up buying the Elektron cover (the other one mentioned in this thread is not yet available in Europe). The cables go in a little pouch.

1 Like

This case works perfectly for a single DT or DN.
The foam on the inside is customizable. :slight_smile:
Https://thomann.de/de/flyht_pro_wp_safe_box_3_ip65.htm

3 Likes

Someone somewhere else pointed this out.

1 Like

Indeed it makes the Digitakt really big to carry considering its actual size but I also like the fact that the polyester in the box keeps it in place.
A cover would be ideal and truth is that you can carry it in any bag if you have that but I will prefer a DIY one instead of paying something like 30-50€ for something that is actually just a piece of plastic.

Just wondering how TSA or EU airport security treats these and other similar devices. Do they have to come out of their case and through the X-ray machine in a bin by themselves, or can they stay inside hand luggage? (Not that travel is imminent for me under current circumstances, but it would be nice to know…)

I always take it out. I carry it on one of the bags they sell? I take it out of the bag and put it on a tray on its own.

I hate having to use a tray for each thing, cause I’m having like 5 trays each time… Ugh. But yeah, it is better to do this by yourself without rush, instead of them telling you to take that thing out and making a lot of traffic on the line…

I actually have to travel soon… Will have a lot of studio things with me on my hands luggage I’m getting stressed right now just thinking about it :worried:

I’m up to three trays already, but my recent purchases are strictly recreational, and I’m not even sure anything would go with me. Still, juggling three is hard enough, along with doffing/donning shoes, getting yelled at because the rules are different in every place and they change weekly, and… I’m stressing myself out just thinking about it, even with no travel planned.

I use these to transport my Digi boxes. Fit perfectly, especially with a desk-saver on top.