Traveling W/ Syntakt

Ciao!

Taking my Syntakt out on vacation to maui :~). 2 Questions, looking for any and all input!

• Is it safe for the machine, for me to use it powered by the outlet on the plane?

• What are the best options for battery pack + cords?

Thanks!

1 Like

Earlier threads:

I tried a Ripcord with an M:C and an Anker powerbank, without problems. However, others have had issues with Ripcord quality and with Anker’s lack of 12v support. With the Syntakt, I tried the Birdcord 12PD and the Baseus battery they recommend, and they have been excellent.

I’ve seen the claim elsewhere that this device, plus any USB-C PD battery pack, works fine to power any of the current Elektron devices (except for the Model series, which requires a different voltage).

Birdcord PD ➔ 12V (USB PD Voltage Converter) | Songbird FX

1 Like

The only power I’ve had on a plane was standard usb , enough to charge my phone.
I’ve never had a normal plug socket .

I assume this is just for the flight ? Not while you are in Maui … sun , beaches , volcanos, zoo …
You can stare at a small black clicky box when you get home.

2 Likes

The Ripcord USB-adapter made for Digitakt/Digitone does not work for Syntakt because it has a slight difference in electrical specs. You can find it in the manual and Ripcord also confirmed this but also said they would work one one that would work for Syntakt but I haven’t seen one yet.

Very nice if there is an alternative that works and I will definitely check it out :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Thanks for the tip!

I am sure it would be fine to power the brick from the plane outlet.

I think you should check the specs of the usb-pd powerbank can deliver 12volts 2amp supply… the ripcord is rated for that and Andrew Huang jams outside for a bit with it in his Syntakt vid so i think the ripcord would work.

With the model:cycles it uses like 5volts 0.4 amps and my 20 000mAh powerbank lasts a Long long time… I think @ 12v 2a or even close to that it would drain pretty fast with the Syntakt, I dont have a “trigger” cable but it seems like ppl are saying the birdcord is better quality. Another option might be Adafruit if your powerbank has usb-c output.

A quick look at Ripcord shows that it has a USB-A connector. That is incapable of supplying enough current to power a Digitakt/Digitone.

The Birdcord adapter I mentioned earlier uses USB-C PD (Power Delivery), which can supply enough current.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.de/XTPower®-XT-20000QC3-PA-Powerbank-inkl-Netzteil/dp/B07Q29BGNG/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=xtpower+powerbank&qid=1685033436&sprefix=xtpower+%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-4

I am using this power bank and never had any problem.
PRO: you can use 2.5mm to 2.5mm cord to power it directly w/o the need of having ripcord or equivalent

1 Like

What are you talking about? USB-A can definitely deliver enough power to power a Digitakt/Digitone with the Ripchord adapter.

1 Like

USB-A power supplies are typically limited to 2.1A or, very occasionally, 2.5A at 5V That’s 10 or maybe 12 watts, in other words no more than 1A at 12V.

The Elektron Digi devices are specified to require a 3A power supply. If you can get that much current from a power supply that connects to a USB-A power source, you’re lucky. There’s no reason to believe it will work in general.

USB-C power sources can supply upwards of 100 watts if needed.

Yes I know what PD is but a Digitakt and Digitone is 12 V, 1 A so the Ripcord 12v is definitely working with its USB-A connection. However it won’t work well enough for the Syntakt because it’s 12 V 2 A :relaxed:

Ah—the Digitakt uses less power than other Elektron devices. I didn’t realize that. It is still the case that the Birdcord USB-C supply puts out enough power for any Elektron device and USB-A power supplies don’t, in general.

1 Like

Yes correct :relaxed:

The birdcord looks really good for the Syntakt and I think I might get one :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’ve got one. It’s good.

Make sure you have a power bank/supply which:

• can provide at least 24watts
  • supports USB PD (USB Power Delivery)
  • supports 12v over USB-PD

Some banks (Anker, for example) can provide 12v, but not using USB PD.