Transition looping in 2021

Somebody in the thread mentioned that transitioning between live audio and the loop wasn’t that easy, how is it done?

There is a knob and a fader. It’s been a while since I’ve used it but one controls the volume of the captured loop and the other the volume of the input. You just fade one up while the fade the other down (or mix them together of course).

I avoided the kp3 for a long time because it seemed gimmiky but also I didn’t see how it (or any looper) could easily loop without having perfect timing. What I didn’t realize until I got it is that as long as the bpm’s match (which for most electronic devices they will match easily and near perfectly) you can start the loop anywhere at all and it will loop perfectly. The looper (at least in the kp3) is given a bpm and a number of bars to loop - once it has that it loops the calculated time, it does not care about the “start” of the loop. For transition looping this works perfect.

In this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-tLEGqVLU

I use the kaoss dj to do the same. It is not as nice - it can only capture a bar i think where the kp3 can do four bars i believe (depends on bpm of course). In the past there were captions on the video describing it but youtube ended that feature.

I’ll try to dig out the kp3 and make a video with it.

If you are trying to create loops to save and use later you will need to hit shift+tap (or something I forget) to mark the “start” of the loop. This should make the loops useable later (when you will care about the start of the loop) if you save the loop to the memory card. I have less experience with this.

But for live loops you need not worry about the “start” at all. This will be true for any looper that allows you to predefine the length. Again this is something I did not realize for years and made me assume that all loopers would need perfect timing on my part.

5 Likes

Anyone using a 1010 bitbox micro for transitional looping?

I want to send channels from my mixer to the bitbox, sample and loop a few bars and be on my way.

I had the 1010 Blackbox for a year and while it’s a great device it wasn’t satisfying as a looper for me. Mainly because sometimes there’s a click at the loop point. It depends on the sound material and there’s a crossfade function but some clicks can’t be fixed. My Ehx 2880 looper never clicks at the loop point but it lacks in other aspects.