Transferring Sounds/Songs/Sequences from Digitone to Digitone Keys

I’m upgrading my Digitone to a Digitone Keys.

Is there a simple way to transfer my songs, compositions, sounds, settings, etc. to my new Digitone Keys?

Yes. Use SYSEX SEND to backup each project to a computer. Then send those projects from the computer to the DNK.

2 Likes

Does that mean I need to transfer using regular MIDI or can I use USB?

You can use either.

Not sure if I’m missing it or not, but not seeing this in the manual.

If by “this” you mean SysEx dumping, then what happens if you look at pages 66 and 67 in the current manual for the Digitone?

[The equivalent text appears on pages 70 and 71 of the current Digitone Keys manual.]

1 Like

Thanks. I guess I was looking for the wrong keywords when searching. Using C6 now to dump a project to my computer but taking a really troubling long time. Like 20 mins on the current project and still not done. Does that sound normal?

I seemed to have transferred everything fine, but after the Keys receives and completes the SysEx file from my computer, it’s nowhere to be found on my synth. I’ve tried every combination using both C6 and SysEx Librarian. Just can’t get it to work. I’m bummed because I need to ship my old Digitone today but I’m not sure if the project is even saved correctly on my computer. Kinda aggravated.

That is not normal. Did the time taken improve later?

Let’s check the saving first: when you dumped your project(s) to the computer, what kind and size of file(s) did you get?

Ahhh… I’m a dummy. So, it appears I did everything correctly both ways, but I failed to check that I had the newest firmware installed on the Keys since I just bought it. Installed it and it worked instantly. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

i know this is an old issue, but i dont want to start a new thread. my question is:

i want to preserve all my projects and sounds upon transferring to the DK. but i also want to keep the sounds that are on the DK, as they appear to be different (i.e., the first sound on the DN is Digit One, but the DK has a different sound.
If i bounce all my projects and sounds from DN via SYSEX and to DK, will the projects get all screwed up (looking for their sounds in slots that no longer exist)?

That’s a good question. It’s been awhile since I transferred my files from to DN -> DK but it seemed to just work for me when transferring. YMMV though. It was several OS updates since that happened.

just to circle back:
i didn’t understand that a single project has all the patches loaded in. So i didn’t need to worry about sounds being out of order. i guess i got confused because it’s slightly different than the OT.

When I transfer sounds from my Mac to the DN via Transfer, all the sounds are added the wrong order.

In the folder on my Mac, they’re ordered alphabetically. If I drag the folder into the Explore/Sounds section of Transfer, they end up in what appears to be a random order, but definitely not alphabetical.

Any way to force the order, without having to drag them over one by one?