Transferring Octatrack audio tracks to computer?

Hello i’m new here and i was wondering if anyone can give me a heads up on how to record my projects from the octatrackmk2 to logic pro x?
Thanks in advance.

Welcome. It’s not for the faint of heart. If you want to dive in, you’ll need to read through this thread.

But, if using the Ableton method described here, it seems like once you get a template setup, it could be relatively easy to repeat the process.

1 Like

Right, I have now successfully run a full arrangement through this, including four midi tracks! I’ve found a couple of further issues with midi which I plan to iron out in the next few days. Safe to say this is a massive success. I’m so fucking happy to finally have a clear route to stemming out all my Octatrack projects and finishing some music! I’ve not mixed down and mastered a track in almost a year, since deciding to drop the DAW.

I’ve also made some progress on documenting this thing. I’m going to see if I can write a full guide, and maybe even make a tutorial video. Hopefully I can find time to do both.

Thanks once again mate. This is really brilliant.

2 Likes

As has been said, this is not a simple task. It is definitely doable in Ableton though. I highly recommend reading through the rest of this thread.

Here’s my first crack. Got most of the kinks ironed out, and it’s now working very well, minus one or two small workflow issues!

Have this a quick half hour mixdown this morning. Feels really good to finally be able to do some proper drum bus compression!

3 Likes

Mix sounds great!

Again, I am really happy to see this working for you.

I spent a lot of time working on it and thinking about it, and it feels good to see it used.

Also, having someone else use it gives it sort of a peer review, which gives me more confidence that it works.

2 Likes

I need to try this! So, i need to make a song on OT with the arranger first?

Cheers! The documentation is taking shape, and I’m still making some tweaks. I think I might make a video to chuck up on YouTube actually - do you have a musical alias or something that you’d like me to credit?

I just want to make this information as accessible as possible so other people can use it. I think it really will be a game changer for a lot of people.

1 Like

Awesome!

No need to credit me. :slight_smile:

I might have a musical alias or finished music if I wasn’t doing things like this lol.

I’ll get there eventually. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hah, I know the feeling to be honest. I have to carefully manage myself to stop picking up entirely new and completely unrelated projects all the time.

2 Likes

The new Ableton with scene follow actions and comping could make this even easier.

I no longer have my Octatrack so I cannot test it.

Hi!! Any progress on a video or documentation? Getting my OT soon and would love to be able to export to Ableton using this method!

1 Like

I did a write up here: "Octabridge" via Ableton

1 Like