Transferring Octatrack audio tracks to computer?

Nice! Will check it out soon!

Release . When
?

The Ableton thing I have seems to be working well, except for the couple limitations I highlighted above.

If your thing could address those, then I, for one, FWIW, would be interested. :slight_smile:

It’s pretty much a DAW, so, yes / should do.

1 Like

Have you got a link to details that you shared about this? Sounds interesting.

1 Like

Something wicked this way comes

very, very old version; completely changed completely; can’t show anything newer for commercial reasons.

3 Likes

Can we draw cats instead of rabbits with it? :kissing_cat:

3 Likes

Draw whatever you like?

Like I said, that is a very, very old version / working PoC; since then, I basically developed a DAW instead; so it’s probably not all so relevant anymore?

3 Likes

I’m intrigued!! Look forward to hearing more about it!

1 Like

I would buy this today if able. Recording is the main drawback with the Octa imho. If this was released it would change my whole setup and save lots and lots of time. Super interested Rusty!!!

2 Likes

Like I said; that is a very, very old version; the whole thing has basically transmogrified into a DAW essentially; maybe I’ll pick it up again one day; but it is not near the top of my pipeline.

5 Likes

Why Elektron don’t have you on payroll Rusty I’ll never know

When you’re ready to share more info I’m super interested . Keep on keeping on !!

1 Like

I went ahead and uploaded my template file to the OP quoted above. I was reluctant to do that, because I still have not tried it for a real song; I have only used it for tests.

But, someone in another thread says they are going to try this, so I wanted to give them and others a head start.

How do you have your midi configured for this project? Is the OT receiving clock/transport from Ableton, or vice versa? Also, when it comes to ‘print your master MIDI clip’, is Ableton receiving midi from the OT MIDI out? Thanks

Ableton is master clock, so OT receives clock and transport. In my experience, having Ableton as MIDI clock slave is a nightmare.

Yes, when printing the master clip, I have Ableton receiving from OT MIDI out on channel 1, which is the channel of the scenes and crossfader.

I’ve got a lot more interesting / exciting stuff to share :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

You can remotely work as a dev alongside the Swedish teams and are working on the OT3 but better replacement? GREAT.

1 Like

OK, so I’ve got the OT hooked up so that it’s receiving clock and transport from Ableton, and I can record the crossfader and scene MIDI data into the ‘OT MIDI IN’ track via MIDI channel 9 (Track 1 on my OT is set to 9, up to 16 on Track 8). What I can’t tell is how to get the OT to receive the MIDI data from the other MIDI tracks, as I can’t see where their MIDI output is set. I can see the MIDI output on the ‘SCENE LAUNCH’ track, but that doesn’t seem to do anything. Also, what is the purpose of the ‘MASTER MIDI’ track? Do I copy the clip from ‘OT MIDI IN’ into that track?

Sorry for my unfamiliarity with Ableton, and thanks for your help!

I do not work for, nor ever have, nor have any relationship or affiliation with Elektron.

Any software developed (OctaEdit, OctaZip, OctaBounce, MDEdit, etc.) has been developed completely independently; without any input, support or assistance from Elektron in any way, shape or form. Nothing I’ve developed is supported or endorsed by Elektron; nor is any intent made to seem otherwise.

The only relationship I have with Elektron is purely as a customer. Basically, I’m just another end user.

4 Likes

In that sample project I attached, if you look at the device pane on those MIDI out tracks, you should see an External Instrument device. I use that, because Ableton latency compensates that device and the MIDI it sends. Alternatively, you could remove that device and send the MIDI directly out from the tracks. (If you do that, Ableton will change its drop down to allow you to make that change.) But, I recommend doing it the way I set it up, so that the MIDI being sent to OT is latency compensated.

Yes, copy your OT MIDI IN clip to the 8 slots of MASTER MIDI track. That way, all your crossfader and scene stuff will get repeated on each pass.

On the SCENE LAUNCH track, I am sending a MIDI note out to a loopback MIDI port. That note is mapped to Ableton’s stop button. You could skip that if you want, but you would have to manually hit stop. If you have a 5 minute song, then you would come back in 8x5 minutes and hit stop.

Hope this helps.

I’m cheering you on.