Transfer samples from/to MachineDrum

I use Audacity to convert .wav files to .syx then the basic Apple file browser to convert the .syx to .sds with the rename function.

1 Like

has UWEdit been updated to work with newer Mac OS’s? looks like it was last built in 2020.

@chiasticon

I’m not sure, Im on windows. You could give it a shot tho. UWEdit can’t do batch files I think, which is why I use a combination of Adobe Audition 1.5 and Audacity.

On Linux, it looks like “export multiple” then select “Other uncompressed files” as the format, then choose SDS as the header, and select 16-bit encoding. It’s probably the same on macOS.

Export multiple will create a file per track, but you just want mono samples for the MD, so only one track, and you’ll only get one exported file.

You can mixdown multiple tracks to mono in the tracks menu

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tracks_menu_mix.html

it just opens as a text file on Monterey. I’m no Mac dev, so I don’t know where to go from here :man_shrugging:

for now, I’m just using C6 on an old Intel Mac. but that’s not sustainable, so I’d like to research an alternative.

You could try a windows emulator to see if it will load that way.

true. I just don’t know if I want to spend 100 GB of my drive to install Windows just to run C6 or UWEdit! :rofl:

if they would build a 64 bit version of C6, I think one could run that in Rosetta on an M1 Mac with Catalina or Monterey. but I’m not 100% sure there.

1 Like

Audacity and Sysex Librarian :thinking:

1 Like

haha well yes, but it is a bit more of a hassle. I did confirm yesterday that the method outlined by @goldorak above (Sox + Sysex Librarian) works on my M1 Mac running Monterey. however, the TM-1 does nothing in this case; whether I have Turbo midi selected and negotiated or not, the sample transfer time is the same. so C6 still wins there.

Hi guys, if you have still the problem to rename the files after the upload to the machine, I may help with a little program that would inject the midi command that contains the name into the syx file, so to save you the big hassle to rename each sample. I did some reverse engineering on syx files for MD to import them on a Rytm MK2, I actually published the results on the forum but then the censorship hit hard on me and I was banned for a week. Anyway, let me know if the renaming thing is still a issue and we can look into it and possibly solve it.

1 Like

I think https://github.com/bsl/send-sds handles correct naming of SDS samples for MD. You could check how it’s done there.

I don’t think it’s good to use a modern mac to do it, because they don’t support C6. If you’re using the midi TM1 midi interface, C6 is the only way I know of to use “Turbo”. Turbo makes the transfers a lot faster. Generally, when I copy sounds to my md, I use a freeware batch processor, to convert all the samples I want to use to 16 bit mono. Then I copy them with C6. I know you said you use MAC, but if I was you, I would just get a very cheap PC, so you can use C6. I recently switched to MAC, but I’m using my old PC for C6.

Does anyone know the sample rate reduction applied to recorded audio via a RAM machine? If setting the “rate” knob at 127 should record at 44100 kHz, what results would other values give? I wonder if it’s just eg rate=64 --> sampling rate 22050 and so on.

Thanks