Transfer - Samples app for IOS... anyone here using it?

Glad to see that people have tried this and that it already has some degree of functionality. I have a Model:Samples on the way to me, so I can’t test it yet, but did download the app.

I’m mostly a novice in terms of hardware, but have an army of iOS apps for music production and audio editing. It looked like I was able to access files from AudioShare, so as long as I have that, I’m set.

Really, the inability to sample directly into the M:S becomes a non-issue if I can just use my iPhone as a touch-screen sampler/editor and send that via USB/Camera Connection Kit directly to the M:S. Sample editing on the small screen and rotary knobs of the M:S would be a bit of a nightmare anyway, so this could be an ideal solution.

I’ll be sure to post back with my own impressions as soon as I get my M:S and can actually try it for myself. Thanks!

2 Likes

You’re in for a ton of fun. I’m running this set up with an iPhone and it has really opened up some fun possibilities. That same camera adapter will let you run audio out of the ms usb to your phone as well, so you can functionally resample now, just takes a few steps.

2 Likes

I’m surprised the developer hasn’t popped up here. It is pretty much brand new though they might not have been ready to market. That base description seems worth the $6.

Thanks! Really encouraging to hear. The Digitakt looks like a really awesome piece of hardware, but honestly, given the choice between:

(a) Sampling directly into a Digitakt, Electribe Sampler, etc. and editing on the hardware; OR

(b) Being able to edit samples using the full suite of iOS audio apps, and transferring over USB cable to the Model:Samples

…I just think I would prefer option B. It does require an extra “device” (an iPhone/iPad), but it’s one that all of us are probably carrying around in our pocket anyway (and extremely powerful).

It’s great how accessible option b has become in the last few years if you want to go that route. I’ll always do the bulk of my work in studio on MPC because, habits. That being said, as soon as I got the MS and figured out a portable power solution, I found myself digging through the junk cabinet for my old iPhone and falling down a rabbit hole of lightning adapters and recording apps. Now that I can LOAD samples IN to the MS with the same gear, I find myself with a fully functional remote rig that can achieve or backdoor-mimic most of the capabilities of my studio rig. The stuff I’m making on the MS has its own unique feel that you only get from bouncing off the walls of gear limitations, and has been breathing new life in to the work I’m doing in the studio.

I would suggest grabbing one of these… it’s made it a lot easier to manage and transfer samples between MpcOne and iPhone. Also the quickest way to steal your friends drum samples from her hard drive. Not that I have ever done that.

SanDisk 32GB iXpand Flash Drive for iPhone and iPad - SDIX30C-032G-GN6NN,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CIEBU22/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RcWmFbWAGZJXB

1 Like

@alexalx666 appears to be the developer - he posted on 07/28/19 while the app was in development!

Hey everyone, developer here, current status: works with M:S and Digitakt, you can transfer individual files or folders, Android version planned for Sep-Oct. If you experience problems with the app or have feature suggestions / general feedback feel free to get in touch on FB or here :smiley:

17 Likes

Excellent! Thanks for the response and for the continued development on the app. Folder transfer was definitely an appreciated addition.

1 Like

that’s great idea to drop samples into ms…do some mangeling/arranging and send back to the ipad!
just pressed the download button!
i do almost everything on my ipad and have kinda ignored my m:s since i got it, this is def something i’ve been waiting for… the other thing i wish we had was that samples didnt cut each other off in the same track

You could use a second track for all the samples that are getting cut off. Or a third or fourth etc… I often use three or four tracks to layer stuff and avoid sample cutoff, then use that ‘resample’ trick to shrink it all to ONE track and move on. Much less of a workaround now that I can just sit and do it all with my phone.

ahh! now that’s the way to do it!
i miss the sp404 resampling , i never should have sold mine. i feel like with this app and the m:s resampling is not as fast but def can get some great results now

Right? I’ve shamelessly owned and regularly used a korg microsampler since its release, so I too know the struggles of wanting near-immediate resampling. Being able to quickly grab an idea or bit of inspiration before the moment passes is priceless.
There are ways to get a better level of immediacy with this rig too though.
I pretty much always run MS audio through usb now, landing in GarageBand on iPhone and tracking back through headphone.

MS usb audio >
multi to lightning adapter >
iPhone 7 running GarageBand >
multi to lightning adapter >
headphones or house mixer.

GarageBand in this case can now act as a multi effects processor + eq + spectrum analyzer + sampler + multitrack recorder + Probably a lot more that I haven’t figured out yet.

This has allowed me to really utilize all 6 tracks of the MS for its sequencing/performance features (chance, live track mutes, automation, etc), and then use GarageBand as a sort of multi track recorder that can take over playback of the live ‘scenes’ or ‘loops’ once tracked out of the MS.

Back to the transfer app…

Ive been using the app all weekend, dropping fresh field recordings to the MS on the spot so I can make beats on location with the local sounds… (samples of knocking and stomping on the park bench im sitting on as a drum kit, ambient sounds from the nearby creek and general public park sounds to float behind the other samples, etc.). This app really has opened up the capabilities of the MS as a solid piece of travel kit.

5 Likes

I got my Model:Samples and have been able to hook up and use the Transfer app. It works pretty much as advertised! One very minor complaint with it - there isn’t really a mobile way to do file management with iOS transfers. I think it sends it to a generic “Uploads” folder. One small trick (which I will try) could be doing the organization on the iDevice and then just sending entire folders over already named how you want it to sort.

Also, even using the desktop app, it works pretty well, but I don’t think you can move individual files from a sub-folder out into a different folder. You can rename things, but things aren’t easy to “move around”. It’s only a minor nuisance, as you just need to think ahead and stay organized before transferring.

Any workflow tricks on iOS for slicing and editing samples? AudioShare is obviously a must-have, but today I discovered “Auditor”:

VirSyn’s “ReSlice” works pretty well, also (and is iPhone compatible). But for $8.99, you can some pretty powerful editing features with “Auditor” and a really slick U.I. It uses transient detection to mark the start points of all one-shots in an audio file, and then you can batch export them as individual .wav files to AudioShare. From there, send to the Model:Samples!

3 Likes

Lexis Audio editor.

This app is free, sums stereo recordings to mono, covers all the basic functions (slice, fades etc), saves in WAV format. It’s basic but it works.

2 Likes

FYI, the Transfer app got an update in the last few days - change log notes stability improvements and the ability to reverse your sample before sending it to M:S. The former item would be much appreciated if it’s for real, as the app was crashing on me quite a bit. Particularly when trying to move folders with 10 samples or more (even if all of them were one-shots). The latter item is a bit perplexing to me, since there is literally a dedicated button on the M:S that reverses sample playback. But it doesn’t hurt that it was added.

In the bottom right of the screen, there is a faded-out drop-down selector for “FX”. I have never seen this active - is this a placeholder for a future update, @alexalx666 ? Having the ability to amend samples with a bitcrusher, filter, or other FX before sending them over would be a very neat addition. Of course, you can already record the samples with AUv3 FX apps using AUM, but it’d be even more convenient to have the basics available in-app.

thanks for your feedback, can you please send that 10 samples to contact@fvcntion.net, thanks! FX dropdown is a placeholder for future fx, yes

Hi @alexalx666 I’m using the transfer app (iPad 13.5.1) with Digitakt (1.20a) - When I transfer a sample it doubles in length, the last half of the transferred sample on digitakt is just empty/blank, no noise. An option to disable this would be nice.

Thank you for your report!, I’ve sent you a private message

Would just like to say, i’m using this app to transfer samples from my Iphone to M:S, and it works like a charm. Works perfectly for what i need.

My workflow is to screen record snippets from youtube/spotify and then trim these in koala app. From there i transfer the samples to audioshare, and then use this transfer app from audioshare to m:s.

It’s really opened up the little white box!

1 Like

Any progress on the Android version?