Tracks 1-12 midi settings for external sequencer

thumbs up for cirklon :slight_smile:

AR gives us chromatic playing and loads of NRPN control per track, I dig that.
MD does not have chromatic playing.
imho its logical to have multiple midi channels for a polysynth.

however, elektron could add A4 poly mode for cirklon drum maps, cubase, logic,…

as a workaround u could route cirklons output to a midi mapper. either some computer with midi or muteable midipal (120 bux).

You can route the ports, channels and message types as you want with a MOTU MIDI Express XT USB or Micro Express USB.

Hi gihaume, do you own one of these? I have been searching for a flexible standalone MIDI processor box for quite a while now, and would love to know more about the capabilities of the Motu Micro Express, for example.
Basically, if one could remap MIDI input from a single MIDI channel to any number of MIDI output ports/channels according to note numbers/number ranges, it would pretty much give me all I’m looking for! Can you do such a thing with the Motu MIDI express boxes while operating them in standalone mode?

interested in motus midi mapping abilites too.
according to the manual: http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/midi/MOTU_USB_MIDI_Manual.pdf
you cannot split notes on the same channel to different channels.
C3 / chn16 => C3 / chn1
D3 / chn16 => C3 / chn2
E3 / chn16 => C3 / chn3

You cannot? Bummer. Someone really should start making a bomes scriptable MIDI processor hardware, the HW MIDI processing world is seriously lacking :frowning:

Yes, I use 4 MOTU MIDI Express XT USB to connect all my synth to my Cirklon and computer. It works very well except between the Express XT and Ableton Live on Windows 7 (on OSX everything works perfectly). And that won’t change because I’m the only one who reported the problem to both Ableton and MOTU, so they obviously think I have a problem with my config, but I don’t because proceed many many tests with many different computers.

So except that, they work very well in standalone mode to route the MIDI channels and mute message types I programmed with the computer.

Also, yes you can’t choose notes and assign them individually to MIDI channels.

The Elektron sequencer is enough for me and I don’t want to use my Cirklon to sequence it. But they are still not fully compatible… Yes, we will have to wait until Elektron makes a proper pattern change when their units receive a MIDI pgm change. It doesn’t work fully properly between their own machines (pattern change: direct jump) ! Colin, the maker of the Cirklon, is also thinking of a possibility to correct that on its side, which he thinks more appropriate to have something to do on that than Elektron, because it would be more easy to do for the MIDI master on the channel.

response from elektron support:

I think I understand what you are trying to do and I actually think this is possible already today.

“it would be nice to have the 12 sounds mapped, starting from C2” This is how it is implemented today but it starts from C-2(midi note 0) not C2(midi note 48).

Midi note 0-11(C-2 to B-2) on all channels trigger track 1-12 and above midi note 11 the track assigned to the midi channel triggers and plays chromatically.

I’m really sorry if I have misunderstood completely and a multi map tool to assign this would have been really useful. But for what you are trying to do, if I understands this correctly to trigger all the tracks from one midi channel, then this is already possible without the multing mapping.

Regards,
Olle

…anyone want to test this? i can’t until later tonight. i think someone already tried this and the AR was responding by triggering all sounds at once. this was my experience as well, but i need to test it again to verify.

Elektron support just made me a happy man! Oh man, cant wait to get home and set this up on my MPC4000!

Cheeeeeers

“Midi note 0-11(C-2 to B-2) on all channels trigger track 1-12”

It does indeed respond on all MIDI channels from C-2, this is a problem for me.

I want to specify the channel this happens on.

Well, I would presume you can filter out the unnecessary channels from the MIDI channel config, no? Just enable only the channel you need to use, and use that channel’s notes 0-11…

Well, I would presume you can filter out the unnecessary channels from the MIDI channel config, no? Just enable only the channel you need to use, and use that channel’s notes 0-11…[/quote]
I don’t think you can. I turned all of them off and I still got response on any channel.
…unless that got fixed in the last update?

Well, I would presume you can filter out the unnecessary channels from the MIDI channel config, no? Just enable only the channel you need to use, and use that channel’s notes 0-11…[/quote]
I don’t think you can. I turned all of them off and I still got response on any channel.
…unless that got fixed in the last update?[/quote]
the tech notes from the latest OS don’t mention any midi fixes that i can recall. i’ll check them again.

anyone get a chance to test this? i didn’t last night and now i’m back at the place that made it possible for me to buy the AR. :angry:

I’m not really in a position to test at the minute. Packing for a house move. :slight_smile:

I’ve given up trying to combine Cirklon with the Elektrons, well except sending clock & transport.
For every gain, (pattern directions, auxes, sculpt etc), you lose something, (patterns changing in sync, plocks etc.).
The beauty of the Elektron gear is the interaction with the internal sequencer. I spent way too much valuable time trying to stick a square peg in a round hole. Cirklon drives my Modular, Virus & a few other bits, Elektrons are left to their own devices.
For me it’s more creative, I sleep better :slight_smile:

Has anyone got the RYTM to work on a single Cirklon track yet?

You would be better off just sending clock from the cirklon to the AR instead of trying to use it on a single track.

I know the RYTM sequencer is good but I want to use the cirklon for live sets and don’t want to worry about using 2 sequencers together.

Its going to be a real clusterfuck trying to deal with 12 parts on a single channel it should be possible tho. I haven’t bothered with trying that as it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Thanks guys,
I’d almost given up on this until I found this thread.

I was looking for a way to trigger the 12 sounds from an external MIDI source on a single MIDI channel.

After reading the comments here - what I found was if you set all the tracks to MIDI Off and then set Track 1 only to be on channel 16…

MIDI note 0-11 triggers all the 12 sounds, but with the bonus that it’s just confined to Channel 16.

Apologies if this old news