Tracking out to Ableton - Frequency Split Thoughts

Just trying out a basic idea to gain more mixing possibilities and flexibility when tracking out a drum pattern from the DT into Ableton via the master outs.

If you create an Audio Effects Rack with 3 chains, with a 3 band EQ on each that has Solo ON to it’s appropriate frequency range (Low, Mid, High) then you can treat, isolate and mix Kick, Snare, HiHats. Quite handy for changing levels post capture, or for adding more space on the High End (delays, etc.).

Fiddle with the frequency range crossover, and watch the Gain on the Chain (set to -1 or more to keep at parity)

Hope it helps. I find this kind of thing keeps the immediacy of using the machines, but without any painstaking hassle in production.

Ableton’s built in EQ is pretty bad for this, it causes lots of artifacts. Its much easier to use a proper Multiband compressor/EQ plugin like Fabfilter Pro-MB.

I usually put this on my chain, it improves anything from the Digitakt 100%:

first EQ (cut below 35Hz and above 19kHz) -> API2500 (a quite legendary compressor, brings out the meat) -> Waves J37 (some light but pronounced tape saturation) -> Fabfilter Saturn (apply multiband saturation for certain parts here) -> Fabfilter EQ (only reduce frequencies you dont like here, see next) -> Scheps 73 or other analog style EQ (raise some frequencies you like) -> a FET style compressor in paralell to bring out the quieter things a bit (something like Softtube FET) -> another EQ if necessary -> SSL Glue Comp (just compress down the top 2db with slowest attack and fastest release) -> Waves NLS (analog style channel strip emulation, apply some 2-3db drive here).

This is why I also cant wait for overbridge because all this should be on the drum bus but usually you need to treat each part of the drums first so there are no frequency clashes and things work together.

4 Likes

Excellent :pray:t2: