Trackers - what's your story?

Memories… way back when my friend and I used some tracker on windows. cant even remember the name. should have been mid 90s.
we created a track and had the balls to throw a demo of it into the mailbox of a producer we knew lived a couple streets away.

he invited us and we got to play around in his very professional studio where a nr 1 world hit got produced. there we got to use an atari based tracker system.

I hate trackers looking back :slight_smile:

Can anybody link any good tutorial videos for trackers (renoise maybe). Also, any vids where you get a appreciation of the workflow would also be appreciated.

5 Likes

I had plenty of fun and adventure with the Amiga 500 and the plethora of trackers. Ripping sounds from mods obtainable. Trading floppies back and forth, competing with friends (friendly harmless competition only) over the mods we made. All while the amazing and unprecedented 90s house and rave revolution era took place!!! Amazing memorable tear sniffing nostalgic stuff! (and still silently crying whenever taking the trip down memory lane) I’d punish and lash myself to death for having lost those early raw production floppy’s. The awesome demoscene!

One of those best things was when i went out of my ways to buy a sampler cartridge for a friend and we could finally sample those oldskool jungle breaks, those were the days !!! Amazing time. Nowadays i’ve reunited moreover with my ex, the 6581, for quite some time already and enjoy the comfort of Hermits SidWizard to make those dreams of yesteryear productions come to light. Priceless, although 20+ years late to the party!!!

(Where’s my MnM MKIII already ,sniff, sniff :wink: )

2 Likes

Word! DigitalTracker on Falcon030 for me as well… countless of beats!

2 Likes

Still waiting for the secret scene release of Elektrons custom built Tracker :slight_smile: wink, wink :stuck_out_tongue: and take a peek behind the curtain of those datalines

goosebumps. everytime. With and without drums.
crazy to see this milestone running down vertically in this little software

Not sure if this has been posted, or if it’s of any interest to anyone. Could only find 1 other mention on Elektronauts.

https://xor-electronics.com/nerdsynth/

1 Like

What is your experience after a few days?

• that the basic worfklow is not difficult and similar pattern and step based like elektrons
  • that the main challenge for me will be remembering keyboard shortcuts/effect commands
  • that I didn’t have enough time to really make any judgements
1 Like

Medusa is releasing a hardware tracker, think you’ll be able to see it at super booth. Enjoy!

Polyend*

We have a thread about it.

3 Likes

Cool, sorry missed that. For once I thought I was first for a second! .-)

Music Radar just released an article titled:
The 7 types of electronic music producer: which are you?

It’s a rather tongue-in-cheek examination of some archetypal examples of amateur music makers. Included in the list was Trackerman – Is this you? You can read the article here.

3. Trackerman

DAW: Renoise

Although fully aware of the availability of proper DAWs, ‘90s throwback Trackerman doesn’t have time for their accessibility, attractive design and array of convenient features. Preferring instead to stare at an indecipherable alphanumeric stream like something out of The flippin’ Matrix, Trackerman creates his intricate breakcore Amen edits by fluttering his fingers over a computer keyboard in the manner of a cyborg.

What’s fascinating about Trackerman is his duality: he’s intelligent enough to wield a piece of software that looks as if it’s designed to be operated by gifted robots, yet is dumb enough to keep using it.

Hearing this savant’s presumably astounding music is a tantalising prospect, but he isn’t about to reveal his subversive activities to any shadowy extra-governmental agencies so doesn’t have a SoundCloud.

4 Likes

There is also this if you don’t want to track down an old Amiga

https://amigastore.eu/en/358-mist-midi-fpga-computer-with-midi-add-on.html

I think there are others too.

I came up on trackers when I was a teenager in the 90s. Used Scream Tracker 3 and moved to Impulse Tracker afterwards. The Digitakt is my only piece of Elektron gear, and for me is most reminiscent of what I’d imagine a “tactile tracker” to be. You’ve got 8 mono audio tracks but the ability to add effects and different samples for each “row” (think step), as well as note data and sample start, end, loop positions. I imagine all the Elektron gear is this cool in it’s own way.

I’m looking forward to that new Polyend Tracker device, but I’m not convinced yet that the experience won’t be an overpriced version of just using a laptop with Renoise. We’ll see when the finally tease the product.

Anyways, great reading everyone else’s stories of coming up using trackers! Great thread!

1 Like

Trackerman is a darn good alias! Trackermen if there’s a band. Real good!

2 Likes

The effect commands are actually quite simple to remember, since abbreviations make a lot of sense regarding the related function.

e.g. regarding volume effect commands
I - Fade volume in
O - Fade volume out
T - tremolo
C - cut volume

etc.

2 Likes

I’m thinking of getting a dedicated laptop solely to run Renoise. No internet, no other apps. Has anybody done this and have any laptop/OS recommendations?

What are your thoughts on the upcoming polyend tracker?