Track sounds dope on DT; sounds terrible when recorded over USB to laptop

. I wouldn’t say that there is no science behind it to be honest. There certainly are no rules, but there are definitely best practices that can at least lead you to a good starting point and beyond.

Keep both iems and the Beyers. Extra references are always welcome. The Beyers have quite a V curve signature meaning that the mid is scooped away. You iems might do something similar. Also check your tracks on your living room system, and if you have a car, that works really great as well.

a thing that you can read up on is mixing to pink noise. It’s not a method to get a completely solid mix, but it can really help to get an initial right balance of levels across your tracks. Great technique to use as a starting point and as a sanity check. Certainly when the references you’re listening on are not perfectly honest.

Hope that helps !

2 Likes

Nice job with the track :blush: personally I think the original DT version sounds far better than the other version.

If I’m understanding correctly you are processing a stereo file in the daw while all the mixing is done directly on DT.

My two cents would be that you should not feel like you have to do a lot of things (on the master) just because you feel like you should do something. Many subtle moves can be a lot more effective than drastic changes to the sound imo. It can be a good idea to AB the processed and the original version to see if you think the changes you are making is actually making it sound better or not:)

I used to have this problem - not sure why but maybe I was monitoring through a mixer then recording to the computer. I just don’t know.

I started monitoring everything through my computer and Ableton. Just so I know what the recording will sound like. No surprises