Track from scratch on the A4: half workflow video, half tutorial

In this video I recorded myself making a track from scratch on the Analog Four. I explain my process along the way and added time stamps if there’s anything in particular you’d like to check out.

0:00 intro and demonstration
1:50 Selecting sounds
3:53 Configuring delay and reverb
6:13 Making an arp melody
7:45 Configuring the pattern length
9:04 Making the bass melody
12:17 Making the main melody
17:48 Making the drums (kicks and snares)
22:12 Rebalancing the sounds for a rough mix
23:00 Making the drums (snares and hihats)
29:53 Naming the performance macros
31:13 Arp macro
33:19 Lead macro
34:58 Bass macro
37:35 Configuring the quick performance knob
38:14 2nd Bass macro
41:13 Drums macro
45:57 Delay macros
52:08 Performancing the pattern

All audio is coming from the Analog Four with no post processing.

Thanks for watching, and I hope you find it helpful!

16 Likes

I’ve been anxiously waiting for you to post this here so I can gush about how great it is! I discovered so much watching this, and it’s had a higher “I’ve got to pause this so I can try that right now” count than anything I’ve seen so far this year. Great tune, too.

And congrats on the mk2! Hope you love it.

1 Like

Thank you very much! Haha, the pause-count thing made my day :blush:

1 Like

Eaves - I have been learning tons from all of your Analog 4 jams and this in depth video is great. I am a current Mk l user - what has your experience been moving to the Mk2? What was the motivation to switch? Your Mkl videos are quite musically inspiring! Keep up the excellent and imaginative creations.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this!

It’s not my cup of tea musically, but as someone who has produced full albums/sets on a single elektron machine I find it very fascinating to see other people’s workflow. Also, I appreciate how you present your videos without following the annoying YouTube trends.

Having followed your previous A4 tracks, seeing you setup your macros was very interesting too, since I never use them. The setup work is just too much for me - it did take the majority of your video time! Paradoxically, in the end I find it much more a composer’s tool than a performer’s.

1 Like

Thanks for watching, @musosolus and @phading!

For me, the upgrade from the mk1 to the mk2 was like night and day in terms of comfort. The TL;DR of it is that the mk2 has better buttons, better encoders and a better screen. The long answer is this:

Screen: the mk1 screen is small, the icons are small, the viewing angle is narrow, and it’s sluggish. When I hit play, the number showing where the playhead is in the sequence just looks like an 8 because the pixels are so slow to change colors. Because the icons and text are small and there’s no graphical representation of the envelopes or filters like on the mk2, it’s hard to immediately see what page I’m on.

Encoders: mk1 encoders are slow. You can be more precise with them, sure, but I find myself pressing and turning all the time to make it change values in bigger increments. All the elektron knobs take a bit of force to press, and it’s annoying to have to do it all the time. it’s either that (and then not-press turning for precision) or doing 2-3 full turns just to get to the value I want. The mk2 knobs are as fast as on the DT and DN and OT mk2, so it’s a lot more comfortable to use IME.

Buttons: mk1’s buttons are a bit hard to read because they have a red LED over the button instead of backlit RGB buttons. The difference between a trig and a lock trig is that they’re fully lit and half lit respectively, and the half lit ones can be hard to see if I have a lamp aimed directly at the A4. I also prefer the feel of the soft square buttons that actuate with little force more than the round hard plastic buttons of the mk1.

More controls: On the mk1, going into the settings menu is a two handed button combo. FUNC all the way to the left + GLOBAL all the way to the right. There’s no shortcut for saving a project, so it’s FUNC+GLOBAL -> YES > YES > YES > YES to save, then NO -> NO to go out of the menu. That is assuming you’ve already saved once and that it remembers the last cursor position. On the mk2 you only need one hand, and it’s FUNC+SETTINGS -> YES ->YES, and it returns to the screen you were on before saving automatically. Also, having a little cluster of buttons for kit, pattern, mix, etc between the FUNC and arrow buttons makes saving kits and patterns more comfortable than on the mk1. Also being able to change octaves while browsing through sounds is very handy; arrow buttons to navigate the list, oct+ and oct- to change the octaves.

The main difference when it comes to sound is that the mk2 has a new overdrive which I think is easier to use. It behaves more like how I’d expect an overdrive to behave. The mk1 sounds great, but it’s rather unique and hard to predict because it sort of “smudges” and softens the sound while also overdriving it. I also think there’s a tiny bit more bass on the mk2. Just enough that patches from scratch sound a bit more even than on the mk1, not a huge difference.

@phading Setting up performance macros is definitely a huge time sink. It’s the main reason most of my A4 tracks don’t have a B-section: all my music-making-energy is used up by the time I’ve made a set of performance macros I’m happy with. Most of my DT and DN tracks have B-sections because all my modulations are done on the fly instead of carefully configured beforehand. Using the performance macros also add another layer of complexity in that all the sounds I make are “low energy” sounds, so I can later ramp them up with the performance macros. Because of this, I’ve only saved a few sounds that are loud/high energy from the get-go, because then I’ll have no more space to ramp up the sounds with performance macros!

5 Likes

Thanks for the careful breakdown of your Mk2 experiences. I have often considered getting one - and at some point I probably will. This gives me plenty of things to consider.

1 Like

My pleasure, @musosolus . The mk1’s workflow is pretty much identical, but the mk2 is more comfortable overall. I use the A4 enough that the price of upgrading is worth it, but I think that if I mostly used overbridge and sequenced the A4 from a DAW, the mk1 would be just as good.

When the Mk2 was introduced, there were some claims made by Elektron/Cenk about the reworked analog circuitry for “more bite, grit, growl” etc. Apart from the Filter Overdrive, did you notice any difference in sound?

In my experience, there’s a bit more bass on the init sound on the mk2. I noticed it most when lowering the filter cutoff. On the mk1 the volume becomes very low on lower frequencies, while on the mk2 it feels a bit more even across the range. On the mk1 I’d usually compensate for this by using the 2nd filter to boost the lows with the hp filter, or by having the track and amp level at max then reduce the amp level whenever I’m raising the cutoff to keep the volume even. I’d do this only on bass sounds; the default settings were fine for pads, leads, snares, and hihats.

The biggest difference is the new overdrive on the mk2. It’s more aggressive and gets louder than the mk1’s overdrive. One of the mk1’s overdrives is still on the mk2 though: turn the overdrive clockwise for the new flavor, and counter-clockwise for the mk1 flavor. There’s a huge difference in how they behave, so it’s nice to have access to both. I think the new overdrive is more predictable and easier to work with, but the mk1 overdrive is really unique.

Edit:

Oops, read that too late :grin:

2 Likes

If I may add, I really enjoy the dedicated macro encoder on the mk2. Let’s say you want a delay feedback that moves the delay filter, you don’t have to switch on the FX track anymore and can keep tweaking the current sound.

Nice vid @Eaves :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you, @LyingDalai! Yeah, the quick performance knob is really, really convenient. I’m no longer forced to stay in the performance page to use the macros, I can now assign one or more macros to the quick performance knob, then jump around between pages and changing stuff while using the performance macros! It’s also really nice for when I’m making new sounds and want to hear them in context with the whole pattern, including the performance macros.

2 Likes