Track Challenge: Sounds of Mars

Here’s my submission:

This was my first try at a challenge like this, and I had a lot of fun doing it. :grin: My thanks to @Microtribe and @emadb for this fun challenge idea.

I tried to get my Model:Cycles to sound “spacey,” but I’m not sure if I succeeded. I used the unfiltered Perseverance sample both raw and run through VCV Rack, plus some “Dinks and donks” from another NASA sample.

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Since the deadline is so far away, I might come take another stab at this before the time is up.

Cheers, :pineapple:

8 Likes

nice! those glassy FM sounds work well in this.

1 Like

Thanks man! I dig the little clicks and thumps in your track. They give it a nice sense of movement. Are they they just artifacts of the sample looping, or are they something else? (The floatyness of the track is really good too.)

a lot of the clicks and pops are just the original samples. the loop points probably contributed to some of the rhythmic quality, too. that got me thinking while still sitting on the couch (my studio), so here’s another one.

7 Likes

Sounds fun! i will make something to contribute…

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b2cC5UnXCI
Here’s my attempt.
I used about 6 samples, including both the filtered and unfiltered rover and that funny looking one I posted earlier.
Also made the video look a bit spacey, just because.
Looking forward to seeing what other people come up with :slightly_smiling_face:
Nice one @CountedSorrow for the idea.

8 Likes

Nice one! Birds of Mars.

2 Likes

I’d watch John Carpenter’s BIRDS OF MARS

1 Like

It’s always really cool to see the Digitakt used outside of the expected use-case of a beats machine, (not that it shouldn’t be used as one :wink:). Great work!

2 Likes

Thanks Dave! That’s how I’ve always used it tbh, it just works for me.
Really enjoyed your track too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Here’s my submission :slight_smile:

Didn’t turn out quite as ambient as I expected, but it was quite fun to make.

The unaltered sample is some of the quake on Mars, low rumbling the whole time. There’s a repetitive click and bass (pretty buried) that’s chopped up from the Mars rover. The synth sound is a SCW from the solar winds on Mars that I turned into a synth on the Deluge. Rest of the sounds come from my Nord Drum

[Creatively, I stole this progression from Bill & Miles]

6 Likes

Status report: Octatrack Experiment 1.
Mission Parameter, use one sample from mars.
Confirmed.
Mission parameter, one sample must be unaltered. Use of one unaltered sample from mars meets both criteria. Confirmed.

Second phase. Resampling of additional samples from Mars. Modulated comb filters, panning across two tracks yeild pleasing ambience.

Maintaining theoretical behaviour of sound on Martian surface, keywords: cold, distant, dry.

Addition of further samples. Track count 5. Crossfader to open comb filter LPF on bass drones.

Conclusion. Results did not meet artistic standards. Session not recorded.
Further experiments required.

9 Likes

Status report. Octatrack with Digitone experiment 1a.

Repeated previous steps on tracks 1 to 4 of octatrack.

Used different sample, unaltered. Mission parameters within tolerance. Confirmed.

Addition: 3 voices from digitone. No sequencer.
Infinite envelopes.

No reverbs no delay.
Congruent with keyword: Dry.

Recorded third attempt. Standby for upload.

5 Likes

Mission Complete

I enjoyed this one. I was imagining the machine, totally isolated, so distant. No humans, no animals, no bugs literally nothing alive to watch it as it moves around, carrying out its operations. The vast empty martian surface, the dry cold thin atmosphere. I think the piece still sounds a bit warm, but I really liked the bass drones I was getting so let it be. Recorded live straight from the OT outputs into a Tascam DR05.

13 Likes

My experiment:

Not really ambient, but I’m not good with ambient music, so I add some beat.
I used only the three samples:

I mangled them a little bit but the background pad are the original Rover Fluid Pump from Perseverance.

7 Likes

Wonderful!

2 Likes

Thanks for listening. Glad you liked it.

Welcome to Mars… :sunglasses:
Awesome track!

1 Like

I like the beat on this. :+1: The pads are kinda spooky. :ghost:
Martian ghosts maybe? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This track is excellent! Brings all the vibes :slight_smile:

I think that little bit of warmth is crucial for setting the mood. Although the Martians might not understand, it makes it palatable for us Earth dwellers

2 Likes