Track challenge : Ryan Cowbells

Please present both tracks when you submit the second, I definitely want to hear a before/after comparison!

1 Like

This is great!!

1 Like

Thank you so much! Glad you liked it!

Couldn’t quite restrict myself to 10 minutes, took half an hour maybe. :slight_smile:

15 x E12-CB and 1 x EFM-CB.

3 Likes

Here’s mine. I was planning to experiment a little bit more and then arrange a track, but since I have to go abroad tomorrow and I won’t be back before the deadline, I recorded a jam made of a few patterns I made with the sounds that came up when touching the buttons.
Material : :cb: the CBCL engine, a 808 cowbell sample, some cowbell sample coming from Machine (I think) and a CR-78 cowbell sample. Recorded the Rytm stereo output with Ableton.
I guess it took 5 hours experimenting (got sucked into the Rytm’s alternate dimension until 3am playing with the cowbell samples) and then like an hour to make the patterns and record a jam.

7 Likes

I love it! Very interesting use of space in there. Definitely had a really cool vibe to it- very special and unique sounding! Also, the picture you used was excellent! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Haha, thank you! I deliberately wanted it to sound like a cowbell and then get a bit weird, maybe until you’re not sure what a cowbell actually sounds like… some of the other CB sounds in the MD are much more just like synth tones, it would definitely be interesting to do something more melodic with those but that would have taken a lot longer.

1 Like

I think it was a brilliant decision!

The E12 was definitely the right call for that mission. The E12 engines definitely have an incredibly blatant sound that you executed excellently.

Those are some good sounds you pulled out of that! You’re gonna make me miss my dearly departed RYTM all over again! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! Well, I sold my old MD a while ago, and your challenge made me regret that decision so I suppose we’re even… :innocent:

2 Likes

Here is my submission. I used the :elmd: I started by setting up four cowbells from each machine with them and went from there. I think I ended up using two or three of each. Spent about 45mins at the kitchen table and demoed it into my iPad, not the best recording but good enough to get the idea.

https://soundcloud.com/the-pmo/morecwbll

4 Likes

Damn. I like that bass drum you patched. Sounds very tribal!

When I listened to this song, I immediately started seeing in technicolor! Thanks for that.

Also, thanks for partaking in the challenge!

Lots of people tell me my ex reminds them of ScarJo. The other day a friend of mine sent me this photo claiming anything to make the ex less attractive is a bonus.

Not sure if I’m less attracted to my ex, or hot for Mr Walken

If you’re hot for Walkin, I don’t think anybody could blame you. You get a hetero-pass :smiley:

Edit: that’s weird though!

2 Likes

I don’t have time to work on a new track (having a baby takes a lot of time.) but around 15 years ago the old elektron-users yahoo group did a similar challenge with I believe the EFM-CB. This was done on my md mk1.

6 Likes

that was incredible! thanks for sharing!

Congrats on the little one. Get him/her into music ASAP then you can multitask music making w/ parenting and then probably be awarded Father of the Year :smiley:

1 Like

Yup, I already have his first synth picked out :smile:

1 Like

What would that be?

Korg MS-20 mini. Semi modular with room to learn more later :slight_smile:

1 Like

brilliant! How old is he currently?