Track Challenge: Go Digital

You know- I’ve been meaning to actually complete this challenge(1. Because its always been a goal of mine, and 2. Because I’m the one that started this darn challenge(I’m such a piece of trash)

I’ll join you!

To answer your question:

Are you clicking on the link within the OP or are you just playing the embedded thing?

I just tried the link and it downloaded on my computer.- It’s hidden in there, but it appears to work.

Perhaps try a different browser?

1 Like

ok, this helped ! Firefox on OSX was not doing it.
Chrome helped

you´ve not taken the challenge yourself ?
but do such hard conditions, haha ?
one hour is tough, though. really though.
in that sense is Simons outcome above REALLY wow

i´m not shure if one hour is enough for me.
i´ll see, in worst case i start over again and do a second try.
ofcourse stating how much attempts it took me …if i ever get out something post worthy within an hour.
Man, what i´m doing here ? haha

i was not aware of this whole section btw.
love such things finally

From previous challenges some people have testified that the hour challenge makes it more inviting- if they don’t have a lot of time to work on music. For others they enjoy being challenged as much as possible.

The only thing that matters is making and sharing the track- and enjoying the exploration(which is all the more reason I’m a huge jerk)

I’ll defonitely join you! I’ll load this sample onto my Digitakt tonight!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha, I still haven’t done anything with this yet. Maybe I’ll do it as my weekly beat this week…

1 Like

Sweet! I’m loving the notion of the rebirth of this thread!

I think- while I’m here, I might as well listen to @Ess s superb track again :slight_smile:

ok, then we are two pushing each other, hehe.

1 Like

I just did it, followed ninja rules. Was a lot of fun and reminds you how flexible the DT can be, it has been a bit neglected since the DN showed up :thinking:

3 Likes

Wooaah this is so good!! Love the sounds you crafted out of that sample and the composition. Maud

Wow, that is beautiful. Reminds me a lot of early Autechre. This is the kind of music I want to make but can’t seem to get there. Time to git gud, I guess! Very inspiring to see something like this done in less than an hour on just the Digitakt.

Nice one! I love the groove and little dubstep touches without overdoing it :smiley:

1 Like

man, i tryed it today. i failed so miserably its a shame. haha

i had a testgo with that sample the other night, cause in contrary to a very first impression on the fast the sample seemed just nothing inspiring to me.
i also recognised at a second listen that Simon was doing alots of his jam by just using manual triggering in chromatic mode.
i´ve never donne this bevore with my DT so i gave it also a go the other night
nevertheless, what i got out within that hour was crap…
guess it was the wrongest thing i could to to have first a test check with that sample , so i started with fixed ideas in mind

ok, as the file is there, and to to emphasize the great work of the others, here my fail jam.
its in ninja mode but with two layers of pampers on so that nobody would see on the floor what happened

the story was this:
i started with a clear project, came to nothing, and quite after 45 minutes.
But then thought , try to do something with the remains of the test from that other night.
i was some 40 minutes on it that other night and had some 3-4 test patterns left, but the tracks all donne as tests, not thought to be patterns in the whole.
tryed around for 5 minutes with these patterns, then did a jam all in a chaos go.

3 Likes

I dunno man, it doesn’t sound that bad to me!

2 Likes

Perhaps I should adopt Elektron’s initial term for these track challenges: "Science Lab"s.

That’s what these things really are. A chance to explore/evaluate/execute a series of experiments on one thing. And that makes the submissions an array of different perspectives all from the same thing.

I think your track is quite interesting. It’s got a sorta wandering/shifty(note the “f” in that word, those aren’t two "t"s) quality to it that seems quite skillful and takes advantage of the different textures in the sample.

I was poking around with that sample earlier today, and I can get any good sentiment out of it- so I see where you’re coming from. But you definitely made a great contribution to the aural sciences by submitting your track.

On behalf of science, thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just find this, but confused for sorce of sample.
I want to have a challenge attempt.
Thanks Ryan!

1 Like

It’s funny, probably the default way to read “track challenge” in this context is that your challenging yourself to make something out of very limited options…

It could also read like its a challenge to see who can do the best, which would imply winners and losers…

I don’t have any conclusions, just that analysis for you… :slight_smile: it’s got several interpretations…

2 Likes

I think it sounds cool. Sounds like your trying to make a phone call to the funk aliens, but their operator is having a little difficulty, so they put you on hold and keep trying to make the connection… :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, that sounds good.
Thats how i take it anyway.
The first i learned, …well first i was inspired to, was:
i listened carefully to Simons track ! and begun to understand how much of his track were not porgrammed but just playing notes in chromatic mode manually.
at least thats my picture.
so, while i never bevore bothered with chromatic mode, i wanted to give it a try and explored this way of using or working with the DT within just a few Minutes.
I allready won bevore i really started :wink:

while on the other side i´m anyway allready much at home with looping (very) small fragments of samples, and also doing there some glitchy magic by aplying a LFO to the start point mostly.
take S&H waveform, find the right tempo and modulation amount.
well, it works best when resampling…

yeah my jam has 2 or 3 nice elements i find, but they don´t come together.
but i also think to show something unperfect might lead to some insights as well,
while on the other side People like Simon and Buska ( i still remember his awesome “no samples used/sampled inoput noise only” Demo) create a high level of measure for others…
hey, each of us wants to create not only a half nonsense jam but a nice track, not ?

i´ve donne such challenges bevore with a friend in privat, i on the MPC1K, he on the MPC2K5, both JJOS-2XL.
we did this to animate each other to dive into the MPC.
But we gave us 2x2 Hrs. 2 Hrs to sample from the chosen YT video, respectivly a set of Vinyls we both had at hand, 2 Hrs for the sequenzing part.
1 Hr is a very tough one, …damned. But i knew.
i might try again…

i totally learn alots by taking such challenges.
AND: I anyway allways fail miserably when it is to create a coherent song and not only single patterns

Thanks

2 Likes

haha, thanks.
I was a Bassist bevore my accident. We played Funk…

2 Likes

Bye the way, we’re always over critical of our own stuff, and that makes it so it takes some guts to even post…

So, your cut there is better than you think, and good job for posting it…

1 Like