Track Advice?

Something feels off with this track. I tried a few contrasting ideas. Make the random rhythm longer/shorter. Move the transposition later/earlier. Something still isn’t gelling with this track that I can’t place my finger on.

Anything seem obvious to anybody?

2 Likes

As a kind of ambient track it works well already I think? If you intending it more ‘pop’ it needs a lead hook/s maybe?

Either way, sounds good. What gear is it? Beats and pads are nice.

1 Like

Hey! Thanks! It’s just A4, MnM, OT, and MDUW and a little bit of KP3+.

Thanks again for the relief!

EDIT: The analog parts are modified patches from the 1994 sound library, with the arp being a modified trumpet patch from the stock sounds

1 Like

This takes me back to the times when I still lived with my mum and listened to “Ambient” records alot… Warp AI compilations, namlook, cabaret voltaire etc. Digging it.

If I must criticize, I felt that the glitchy drums at around 3:30 mark felt a bit redundant to the overall composition, but that’s all I can think of.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice! I’ll weigh it out

Yeah. Listening back to it, you’re probably right. If I understand you, it’s not the entire glitch percussion? Just at that point?

I really enjoyed that. Personally, I wouldn’t change a thing about it at this point, I’d just move on to the next thing and maybe come back to it at some point in the future with fresh ears.

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s quite a relief! I’m really glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah, I need to get to working on the cowbell mission!

1 Like

I’ll listen later but this always helps me out a bit…and I have a deck of the real ones by my work desk always. :smiley:

http://stoney.sb.org/eno/oblique.html

I’m just thinking it could use some deep sub-bass lower sounds for more depth. It sounds majority mid and high sounds to me. Otherwise, this is a good one.

1 Like

Never enough cowbell!

1 Like

The drums that start at that point felt “disconnected” from the rest somehow, kinda like a DJ mixing the next track in, only to cut it out a bit later… if that makes sense.

But hey, these things are subjective, and enjoyed it nonetheless. Nice quirky melodics and moods!

1 Like

Yeah. I totally see what you mean! 10/10 advice- will totally fix!

Thanks

Hello I think your percussion melody played like a vibraphone is continually the same Theme. Maybe you can find One or Two variation used in the context of a rupture… (or like a drums answer-reply phrase) so then when the theme comeback we please to re-heard… One thing I notice in music is everything need to enter and get out… while the track progressing and sometimes that’s a challenge. It’s always a pleasure to hear a Shaker because that’s pure energy in a groove point of view it’s also difficult when arranging a song to get out a shaker because there’s a lot of energy who disappear… anyway that’s just to demonstrate my point.

That’s a general advise I follow carefully I always try to entering something and get out, if there’s a problem I need a magic trick to make it happen. Something repetitive and enjoyable is very nice when something happening (a variation or more than one variation make a rupture) because then when you hear again the theme you happy to get it again… rather (take the risk) to boring with it to the end of the track.

1 Like

Maybe reversing a part render as audio in the vibraphone melody theme with glitch drums effect could done the trick… it can be effected also as you always done things that way…

Good track Ryan anyway.

1 Like