TR8S vs Digitakt

No doubt Roland will fix this

2 Likes

Drum off - Duelling Banjoā€™s style! Be an interesting video.

IMHO I think its a lot to do with innovation and how the machine is used .

Hey, letā€™s not fight about song mode, gentlemenā€¦

Better IMO to come up with a revolutionary + easy to implement + capture the whole performance concept of song mode for the little boxes :slight_smile:

Now letā€™s get back to the topic please :tongue:

3 Likes

Overbridge! :joy:

:roll_eyes: :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :astonished: :sweat: :confounded: :scream:

1 Like

This.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s much to compare really.

Digitakt is what you make of it. Sound explorer. MIDI sequencer. Infinite rhythm boxā€¦

TR8S looks like a solid, ā€˜proā€™ drum machine. Yes, you can sorta automate pitch to do melodic stuff but itā€™s meant for drum based beats. I havenā€™t tried it yet but everything Iā€™ve seen/read so far seems like if what you really want is a straight-forward drum machine, Roland finally came through. Knob per function for standard drum tweaks (decay, pitch, level and FX sendsā€”you hold the drum button and turn to FX levels to adjust send amount per track). This is a big usability bonus but anything beyond that sort of stuff requires menu diving via tiny LCD. Thatā€™s a big minus if youā€™re a tweaker (read: if what you really want is a Digitakt) but if what your really after is a solid drum machine (with KIT support!), you probably donā€™t really need that stuff too often.

(edited for typos)

1 Like

@N3V3RM1ND and @hardZ
Your most recent posts in this thread were flagged by so many community members that theyā€™ve automatically been hidden from view.

Please go familiarize yourself with the guidelines now.
Following the forum guidelines is imperative for participation on Elektronauts.

Be civil.
Improve the discussion.

6 Likes

Just returned the TR-8S for exactly this reason. No song mode and no ability to quickly customize a song/track sequence.
Extremely limited.

2 Likes

Not to be a contrarian here but neither and here is why.

I much prefer the smaller footprint and sounds of the MFB Tanzmaus/Tanzbar machines. Had time to try one out this weekend and enjoyed it. Also consider the Moog DFAM which is a great drum synth with patch/modular capability.

I am waiting for the Soma Pulsar 23 and MFB Tanzbar v2 to come out this year. Either that or Eurorack drum setup.

1 Like

All the Roland TR machines or a digitakt?
Kind of no comparison really. I know which one I would pick, but everyone is going to have their own opinions, just like they do for Tea or Coffee, vanilla or chocolate, Cornish or Devonian.

Right now I am using my OT+A4 for drums/bass and pretty happy with the quality. I tried the sample packs and then created my own tribal drums and bass which is fun experiment and helps deepen my understanding of synthesis.

Emulations of all the Roland TR machines :wink:

True TR8S doesnā€™t have ā€œsong modeā€ however you can chain up to 8 variations (w/ different lengths) plus loop chain up to 16 adjacent patterns. Both offer quick ways to customize a sequence (copy & paste).

@Unifono Arenā€™t they all emulations since no 2 TR-808ā€™s ever sounded the same? :wink:

The problem is - thatā€™s basically 128 bars - at 124bpm, thatā€™s only about 4 minutes of musicā€¦
I need at least 184 bars for a full 6 minute dance track. I should be able to play any variation from any pattern in any order up to 256 bars.

If song mode is the goal then I would recommend Synthstrom Deluge. Since the 2.0 update you can orchestrate as many bars as you want and the sequencer will stop on a dime as soon as the song has completed.

The TR-8S on the other hand is designed around banks, patterns and variations of a 16 (or less) step sequence. Certainly the og x0x producers were able to make these limitations work for them keeping things spicy for 6+ minute tracks. The TR-8S only expands those limitations by offering more variations, more instruments, sampling, sub steps, faders, fx, scatter, loop step, etcā€¦
I think with sequenced drum machines thereā€™s always gonna be an expected amount of rhythmic repetition so I donā€™t see what the big deal is anyway.

Live dangerously and program that stuff on the fly!

Cheers

1 Like

Well, no actually, the 808 has ā€œtrack writeā€ up to 768 Measures, you click the pattern you want it to play at the time you want, then it goes to the variation you have set, then you would choose the next patterns and write a track. Thatā€™s what track mode was on the 808. Then you play the whole track through.
The 606 has track write - it lets you choose any of the 16 patterns and string them into a track. The 909 had 896 bars , 707 - 998 bars ,727, 626, 505 - 423 bars , all had excellent track write modes.
So, mostly no, they were programming their tracks and recording them in. Only the 808 used the pattern/variation paradigm.
I know because I have all the x0x except for the 626 and 727.

3 Likes

I think both devices are good but at the same time think all the wigs at these companies are starting to forget the VISION!!!

My bad thanks for explaining. Boo TR-8S song mode :nauseated_face:

08 is nothing but a good and common drummachineā€¦takt is way beyond thatā€¦simple as thatā€¦
but if ur not experienced with elektron workflow yet, faster results defenitly waiting for u in that roland copy of a copy thingā€¦