TR8S vs Digitakt

But my favorite part, and how I get the best sounds out of the DT is by sampling. That is the best part of it. So easy to sample. Oh, and the wav display with visual editing is a blast. Anyway, I’m excited that these new Roland boxes are out, so the old ones drop in price. I already have an OT and a DT.

two-girls-one-guy

9 Likes

^ Playa!

1 Like

Acidhouse is on to something. The TR-8s is great by itself. But sequence it from the DT. Frees up 8 drum spots for other stuff!!!

1 Like

Digitone: More about programming and more dynamic patterns. Much advancer sampling engine.
TR-8S: Much more hands on. Quicker results, but also more reduced it is possibilities.

1 Like

Apples to Oranges

No but really, Apples vs Oranges who do think would win?

3 Likes

I prefer apples, but which is the apple?

1 Like

Ok I’ll spill the beans, I did have a DT for a while, and I’m guessing I will personally like the TR8s better. It’s hard to say without using it yet though. It’s because I make tracks quickly and like to capture them as a performance in one take. It takes a few tries sometimes but it’s fun and risky. Both machines can do this but one has faders and pattern chaining which I think may be a big boon.

1 Like

Lol… What a joke, the real reason manufacturers are not including song mode is that they’re cutting corners by leaving an expensive feature out. It’s how they save money… All they have to do is convince electronic musicians that by pressing a button at a precise moment, they’re some how playing an instrument… I’m an electronic musician that can also play guitar. Pressing a button at the right time bringing in a whole section of the music is definitely not the same as playing a guitar or piano or even a acoustic drum set… Saying song mode isn’t important is hilarious… Song mode is an industry standard for people who need their hands free for other tasks like um, I don’t know… Playing an instrument?

3 Likes

DT is a dynamic performance instrument. It’s rugged, and to the point. See, first you program it, and the you play it. It’s not necessarily meant for static playback. Congrats on your being a multi-instrumentalist.

I mean you can smell an orange coming a mile away, no sneak factor. But it does require more menu diving, though it is better at (citric) acid.

Also, can be easily used in a modular (fruit salad) without utensils.

I’m going with orange.

4 Likes

Menu diving? :thinking: peeling?, haha that’s hilarious…

I don’t know dude, your right you can squeeze a lot of an orange, but apples are hardcore! :wink:
It’s a tough one, I’m just gonna go full hybrid fruit salad…
:tomato::tangerine::watermelon::banana::eggplant::grapes::cherries::strawberry::apple::lemon::melon::loud_sound::sparkles::notes:

4 Likes

What exactly are you talking about? Do you think it would really be so expensive to design a save feature for a pattern chain mode, where you could determine how many times each pattern played, and the order in which they’re played? I don’t know much about programming, but how difficult (or expensive) would it be to implement such a feature? Maybe that’s why people are so upset?

I don’t know about you, but I don’t play “songs”, I play in a group where we have loosely structured scores, or plans. Each member prepares their own material, we set a few rules, or reference points (pitch etc.), and we improvise, mostly live. It helps to be on your toes, ready for dynamic shifts, to be able to react to gestures, or introduce ideas, sounds, patterns (whatever), on the fly. I tried using the Digitakt as a semi-passive, background element, for textures, weaves, or foundations to augment primary actions, and I painfully neglected its functionality. It really is an instrument which benefits, or is optimal, when you’re fully engaged with it, “playing” the patterns, adjusting parameters, muting, mangling individual sounds etc. There has to be a better alternative for “set and forget” types of song mode - something more ideal for such an application?

2 Likes

Sounds delish.
Don’t forget the funk!

And by funk I mean yoghurt.

2 Likes

Wise words my friend. Don’t worry though, I’m actually sustained by the funk and don’t necessarily require food or water as long as the funky vibrations are emanating from the immortal booty grooving funkified source of all that is sound…

If there we’re any issues with the funk flow, you’d notice I’d be answering OT questions wrong and would be generally not so chipper…

If you do notice that happening, please pm me some Parliment Funkadelic, asap…
And I’m vegan, but I got my own style of alternative coconut/almond milk special blend yogurt funk… :grin::sparkles:
Once the recipe is perfected, I’ll be willing to share. :rofl:

Oh yeah, where am I?
What’s a TR8S or the Digithingie everyone’s fussing about?

(Edit: correction: Digimathingakabober)

2 Likes

You’re making my point for me.

If you want something that can play back a song for you instead of something that you as the musician can play as an instrument, then don’t get a Digitakt or a TR-8S.

4 Likes

My question is, since when did song mode become a function to frown upon by people who use these so called instruments? And who are you to say song mode isn’t a need for accomplished musicians wanting to do other tasks like play piano along with the digitakt or any other sequencer. It’s a legitimate request, from users using the tool in many different ways then manually bringing in the next part… In the 90s, there was no such thing as a sequencer without song mode…

2 Likes

So yall probably read about the ”electribe sampler bug” on the TR8S? I bet DT doesn’t choke during a pattern transition like that, song mode or no.

To be fair, both issues will undoubtedly be fixed by the respective companies…

I don’t understand why people get so angry because someone would like a song mode.

2 Likes