TR8S vs Digitakt

Elektron should add the Digit8 to its product range…

In this day and age you would think zero.

If you had a crate of old records or a box of old cassettes full of samples you wanted to dig through, mess around with, and chop up to inspire ideas for sample-based music, which one would you rather use?

2 Likes

the records.

You can more easily record them at higher pitches to save on disk space in your sampler, and gain that lofi sound when pitching them back down, digitally.

2 Likes

Ha. Which machine would you rather use on either records or cassettes that needed to be sampled?

1 Like

I think we know who. . .

Oh.

Octatrack MKII :rofl:

10 Likes

I can’t believe that after the whole digitakt debacle (I finally cracked and sold it last week) I had not even thought to ask if this has a song mode. I just assumed it would. I think you can chain patterns together or something but again I’m just assuming that because it would seem pretty normal on a drum machine.

2 Likes

TR8s looks pretty cool…

…but then when I think about it, it has a lot of the same limitations that prompted me to ditch a Korg E2s in favour of Digitakt. I want fine tuning, microtiming, and detailed control of sample playback.

The Tr8s has a surprisingly similar architecture to the E2s when I think about it. 16 voices which can be synth or sample, one dedicated effect per voice plus 1/2 master effects. Direct control of a limited number of parameters.
Its sample management can’t possibly be as infuriating as the Korg though.

The TR8s will be fantastic for some people, but not me. I’m more into distorted congas than 808s, and the DT gets better the more I use it. I can alter the filter envelope or release time or whatever without really thinking about it now :slight_smile:

No song mode!?!?!? Wtf. How does this dude make such an epic sounding song?

4 Likes

Ah yes, the old “song mode upstairs”.
Employed by such great artists as Hendrix, Alicia Keys, and Cenk :smiley:

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss. And no, the TR-8S does not have a song mode.

1 Like

Damn, Peak is large! Sounds beautiful though, great tune too.

if I was as good as them I wouldn’t need song mode.

Is there a way to hide comments that include the phrase “song mode”?

21 Likes

is this the DigiTone with this crunchy bass?

it was a loss. I loved that machine but times are tight.

Not that I care but this one made me laugh.

26 Likes

Aha! Good eye. 8:15 has a nice overhead shot where you can see it fairly clearly. Cool. I like the idea of no damn green stripe around the edge and all LED’s on white.

1 Like

Judging by the manual the color of each slider is indeed customizable:

3 Likes